1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Great read from Wilbon in today's Post

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Sep 29, 2006.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

2. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

I liked this:
    Leftwich never wanted to be anything but a quarterback. Some years ago, I visited H.D. Woodson High and at the end of a talk a big kid with a wonderful smile approached me very politely and said, "You're going to be writing about me someday, so you'd better get to know me."

I asked his name and he said, "Byron Leftwich . . . I play quarterback and you're going to have to write about me one day."

3. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

???

4. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

HOLY SHIT!!!!!

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Yeah, I noticed that too. Not sure who wrote that cutline, but it ought to be cleaned up.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Hey, you know better . . . the WP is busy blowing W . . . details, details.

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Typical Wilbon ... a typical worthwhile read. Burying stereotypes can be fun.

I knew I liked Byron Leftwich.

8. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

I'm impressed that Wilbon can knock out fine columns like that while being on TV.

9. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I guess it can be done, huh? Some writers just choose not to.

10. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I scoured this column twice, looking for the revelation.

Atthe risk of heresy, I think the premise (black starting QBs have been de rigeuer for the past dozen years, but DAMN it, they haven't been BACKUPS!) is flimsy.

This graph below sets something up that is left to whither and not backed up:

But that's only the beginning of a cultural study of the Jacksonville Jaguars. Pro football has always operated in a tiny little comfort zone, racially. Only in the last dozen years have black quarterbacks stopped being an oddity . . . at about the time fast white receivers virtually disappeared. And even as black quarterbacks became accepted, they were embraced only as starters, hardly ever allowed the luxury of making it as a backup.

Fast white receivers? When the hell did they play?

And the last line is an obvious round peg into the square slot just so he can talk about the cool oddity of the Jags having three black QBs and a GM who was one of the pioneer black QBs. But I don't see any analysis of a "why" there.

BTW, James Harris started for the Chargers in the first game I ever saw in 1977.

11. RAMBO

RAMBO Member

12. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Good column, good subject ..
    But, please - this was not a comparison with 60s black QBs and nowadays.
    There were no black QBs in the 60s, save for two or three at the end of the decade.
    Harris was a black QB in the 70s
    (Like Peter Fonda said in "The Limey" - the 60s were really only 66-68. Thats what people are talking about when they mention "The 60s". Just those few years.

Draft saved Draft deleted