1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Great outcome on what started as a crappy situation

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by novelist_wannabe, Mar 16, 2012.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Just have to share, so thanks in advance for indulging me (and my apologies for this being kind of a long story) ...

So a couple of weeks ago, my 18-year-old son, with time to kill and on foot because we have two cars for three drivers in the household, decides to take in a movie. He had been to another activity beforehand and had a cinch-sak with some belongings in it. After he buys his ticket, he goes into the theatre, and before they let him in, they tell him he can't take the bag in with him. Not sure how it got around to this, but he ended up leaving the bag with the customer service desk, the plan being for him to retrieve it after his movie is over. He had the good sense to keep his wallet and cell phone on him.

He goes in, watches his movie, and when he goes to retrieve his bag, it's no longer at customer service; they'd given it to someone else.

Not long after this revelation, I arrive to pick him up. He's obviously angry, so I ask him why and he tells me all of the above. So then I'm angry. I pull into a parking space, go to the door, where I'm met by the manager. With as much tact as I can muster - which isn't much - I start in about how this is unacceptable, why don't they have some kind of accounting system for this situation, they need to reimburse him for his belongings, etc. I'm about to launch into a discussion about whether they let females carry purses into the theatre when it comes out that Novelist Jr. has already handled the situation and arranged for reimbursement. By this point, I've already made an ass of myself; he needs to take care of his own business and well, I need to get the whole story before I start chewing on the manager. I want him to know I've got his back, but really, I just need to butt out.

So we leave with the guy's business card and assurances that the threater will make it right. My son orders replacements for his belongings and prints receipts.

Because the theater is in the town where I work, it's left to me to go by there and close the transaction, which I did today. When I got there, I apologized for my behavior, and the manager said he understood the frustration and he was gracious about that. He gave a cash reimbursement, which frankly was all I was expecting. He also gave me a total of 10 tickets for future shows, the value of which was close to equal of the items my son had lost.

I'm stunned and marveling at the customer service, and I even went so far as to tell him the tickets weren't necessary, that they were above and beyond the call of duty. Before I get that out of my mouth good, he starts telling me how impressed he was with the way Jr. handled the situation.

Those of you on here who know me personally know that I've long worried about my son. Let's just say he has inherited his father's temperament, of which his father is not universally proud. But in this situation he handled himself the way you'd want.

So to recap, I'm glad he got his stuff back and was reimbursed. I'm floored at the customer service from the manager of this threater, and I'm unbelievably proud of my son.

That's a good day.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

That's a GREAT day. Happy for you, novvie. You done good as a dad.

side note: I can also vouch for the respectful way in which Young Novvie behaves. He's a damn good kid.

3. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Definitely a good day.

To answer a question you threw out, I will guarantee you they don't make women hand over their pocketbooks.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

They can pry my purse out of my cold dead hands. How else would I smuggle in Sno-Caps and a 20-ounce Pepsi??

5. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

IJAC: Aw shucks. Thanks.

Waterytart: In the context of that discussion, it was rhretorical. I know they don't, and I'm really not saying they should. My main point was the situation could've been managed better. But you know, they were very up front with us after they made the mistake, and I really appreciated it.

IJAG: Cargo pants :D

Draft saved Draft deleted