1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Great opening lines in literature

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Beaker, Oct 14, 2008.

1. The quote in my profile is one my favorite opening lines.. though I'm not sure it qualifies as literature.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

top of the page ...

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

"Amerigo Bonasera sat in New York Criminal Court Number 3 and waited for justice; vengeance on the men who had so cruelly hurt his daughter, who had tried to dishonor her." — The Godfather

"A green hunting cap squeezed the top of his fleshy balloon of a head." — A Confederacy of Dunces

"My father saw him years later playing in a tenth-rate commercial league in a textile town in Carolina, wearing shoes and an assumed name." — Shoeless Joe

4. My apologies

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Maybe the best opening line in one of the best American novels of the last fifty years:

"A screaming comes across the sky"

Gravity's Rainbow, Thomas Pynchon.

The novel as Hard Work.

6. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

JR just beat me to Pynchon, so I'll offer yin and yang.

It is a truth universally acknowledged that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife.

I have seen the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

As if I wouldn't have gone for the LCD. And the ending, even!

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The single, most difficult book I have ever read. I've read it three times in an effort to conquer it. Each time, I would have been better served settling down with it in a room with rubber walls. I still love the book for some reason, even though I am certain I don't have a clue what it's about.

9. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

"In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort."
    The Hobbit, JRR Tolkein

"My name was Salmon, like the fish; first name, Susie. I was fourteen when I was murdered on December 6, 1973."
    The Lovely Bones, Alice Sebold

10. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Speaking of brilliant works that aren't the easiest to read, here's another:

"Through the fence, between the curling flower spaces, I could see them hitting." --Faulkner, The Sound and the Fury

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I will echo that.

Just after it was published, a friend of mine took the Canadian (the train) from Toronto to Vancouver--it's about a four day trip.

Read the whole damn book non-stop. Said it was like being on drugs.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

There were times I wanted to dismiss that one as being written by an idiot, but by the end I was glad I kept on reading.

Draft saved Draft deleted