1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Great opening lines in literature

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Beaker, Oct 14, 2008.

1. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

I was going through some old class material the other day, and this question lodged in my mind. What are some of the greatest opening sentences/graphs in literature?

A few of my nominees:

"It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen." --Orwell, 1984

"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything truly wrong, he was arrested." —Franz Kafka, The Trial

"Lolita, light of my life, fire of my loins." --Nabokov, Lolita

And as much as it may pain me:

"Call me Ishmael." --Melville, Moby Dick

What am I missing?

2. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times - Tale of Two Cities (and some really shitty prep football lead somewhere this past weekend probably)

3. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

I figured that would be the first one brought up, which is sort of why I left it off my list...

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I wouldn't call it literature, but Hunter S. Thompson's line deserves to be on this thread:

"We were somewhere around Barstow on the edge of the desert when the drugs began to take hold."

The first line of "No Country for Old Man":

"I sent one boy to the gaschamber at Huntsville."

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Got to give a shoutout to a great multicultural literature class I took in college with this one, from Gabriel Garcia Marquez's "One Hundred Years of Solitude":

"Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Colonel Aureliano Buendia was to remember that distant afternoon when his father took him to discover ice."

6. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Great choices, buck. Almost anything by McCarthy could be on here...

7. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

From Slaughterhouse Five:

"All this happened, more or less."

8. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

"Look. Here's the thing. If you can't spot the sucker in your first five minutes at the table, then you are the sucker."

Oh, wait. You said literature. Sorry. ;D

9. KG

KG Active Member

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days now without taking a fish. -- Hemingway--The Old Man and the Sea

10. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

[​IMG]

It was the best of times, it was the BLURST of times!? You stupid monkey!

11. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

Never read it but here's one I found that struck me as very cool

The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel - William Gibson, Neuromancer

12. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Not as memorable, but you've got to also love the simplicity of his opening to A Farewell to Arms:

"In the late summer of that year we lived in a house in a village that looked across the river and the plain to the mountains."

Draft saved Draft deleted