1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Great one-off movies

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Batman, May 29, 2016.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Well, I suppose I could spend more time tweeting about the Clintons ...

2. Baron Scicluna

There was a book sequel to Gump. I only had time to read a chapter or two, but basically, Forrest lost a lot of his money, and ended up playing in the NFL with Stabler and the Saints.

3. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Midnight Run.
    Figured someone would want to tap into more of that Grodin-DeNiro buddy magic.

CD Boogie likes this.
  4. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

What did Andy include with the ledger in his letter to the newspaper editor? If it was just the ledger and the letter, it must've written a pretty compelling letter to the newspaper editor to have them run with the headline "murder, corruption" before charges were filed. The way it was in the movie they went to arrest Hadley and the warden after the newspaper article came out.

5. EStreetJoe

I'm still waiting for History of the World Part III (since they pretty much covered Part II in the closing trailer of Part I).

Vombatus likes this.
  6. EStreetJoe

There's also no way a Shawshank sequel would be made because it's based on a Stephen King book. King never wrote a sequel to it and I don't think he'd trust Hollywood to continue the story.

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Give him a check and King will let anyone make a film based on his characters. Have you seen some of the dreck that has come to the screen from great King fiction? He's not someone who insists on creative control (or even much influence) over projects based on his work.

8. Baron Scicluna

It sure seems like the reporter didn't bother trying to seek Hadley and the warden's comments before writing the story. They wouldn't have been so surprised at the police arriving at the prison if they had been alerted to the fact that the reporter was doing a story on them.

Poor journalism work on the reporter's part.

Oh, and how realistic was it for Andy to go to a dozen banks that morning to get all the money, while the prison noticed he was missing at wake-up. Didn't the prison put out alerts to radio and TV stations with descriptions of Andy? Wouldn't someone have recognized him as he went around to all the banks, then escaped?

EStreetJoe likes this.
  9. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

For the record, it's "Randall Stevens." That is, unless Andy decided to have a name change for the figment of his imagination.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Good lord, that sounds depressing. Wasn't that the plot of "Everybody's All-American"?

Vombatus likes this.
  11. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Also sounds like that 1970s Disney movie, think it was called "Gus", about a field goal-kicking mule. Dumbass movie, figuratively and literally.

12. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Gus....now there was a standalone movie.

Draft saved Draft deleted