1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Great Newspaper Markets

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Max Mercy, May 12, 2008.

1. John

John Well-Known Member

I'm sorry to hear that. A handful of real good folks working there.

2. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Wrongo!

Rochester, NY
    DMA ADUlT POPUlATION 781,000 DMA HOUSeHOlD RANk 78
    Rochester Democrat and Chronicle readers % coverage
    Weekly Print Audience 619,000 79%
    Weekly Website Audience 111,000 14%
    DemocratAndChronicle.com
    Integrated Newspaper Audience 629,000 81%

http://images.mediapost.com/pdf/NewspaperRatings2008.pdf

Weekly Print Audience: Adults in
    the paper’s local market who “read
    or looked into” the daily or Sunday
    edition of the paper during the past
    seven days

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

You forgot York, but yeah, this post is spot-on. Harrisburg and Reading are really strong papers for their size, as is Lancaster.

4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Agreed.

5. wordguruMD

wordguruMD New Member

I definitely vote for Buffalo as being really good and I know that's not a paper most people think about. I was there covering MD during the NCAA Tournament last year and their sports section was terrific...And their newshole seemed pretty big too....

6. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

While we're in the area, I'll throw out Erie, Pa. Why Erie? Not only is its own paper pretty decent, depending on which gas station or convenience store you stop at you also can get Buffalo, both Pittsburgh papers and Cleveland on most days. Not too shabby, and the area's pretty well served.

7. Erie isn't all that bad a place. Used to date a girl from there and visited a few times. Lakeshore location, interesting old neighborhoods and easy drives to Pittsburgh, Cleveland and Buffalo.

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

It's not because the P-E hasn't tried. It has a satellite office visible from I-215 in San Berdoo, runs commercials on TV all throughout that market and even has bins up in my old neighborhood way the hell up near Cal State.

The problem, of course, is that the area is too widespread for them to cover it well. There's not one "I.E. region" market ... readers in Ontario don't give a shit about Riverside, readers in Corona don't give a shit about San Berdoo, and readers in Big Bear can't even find Murrieta Valley on a map.

The only answer is to zone the coverage, but you need a lot more resources than even Belo can provide. At least, to do it right (which the P-E does, in its back yard.)

So yes, the opportunity's there. But the ability to dominate is all but impossible to execute.

Draft saved Draft deleted