1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Great moments in scientific research: Attractive women really do make men stupid

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Sep 4, 2009.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Completely unexpected result. Really. Had no idea whatsoever that this might be possible.<blockquote>The research shows men who spend even a few minutes in the company of an attractive woman perform less well in tests designed to measure brain function than those who chat to someone they do not find attractive.

Researchers who carried out the study, published in the Journal of Experimental and Social Psychology, think the reason may be that men use up so much of their brain function or 'cognitive resources' trying to impress beautiful women, they have little left for other tasks. </blockquote>http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/6132718/Men-lose-their-minds-speaking-to-pretty-women.html

And why was this studied?<blockquote>Psychologists at Radboud University in The Netherlands carried out the study after one of them was so struck on impressing an attractive woman he had never met before, that he could not remember his address when she asked him where he lived. </blockquote>Nothing quite like a real-world example.

2. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Why that is absurd. I can certainly talk to a pretty girl and still have plenty of my "cognitive resources" left.....Hey check her out.....uhhh, yeah.....She is hot....HUmminah, humminah, what was I talking about?

3. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

This quote made me laugh quite loudly at the office: 'When a man meets a pretty woman, he is what we call 'reproductively focused.'

4. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

When I heard this report on the radio this morning, I thought, "This is a thread coffeeman will start."

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

;D

It popped up on Slashdot last night and the commenters have set phasers on "+1 Funny" ever since.

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

But they can pitch a tent in a matter of seconds.

Draft saved Draft deleted