1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Great Mike Freeman interview on The Big Lead

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mizzougrad96, Mar 12, 2007.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The shellcrackerl did circle around that wriggling worm for quite a while, didn't he?

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Man, mizz.....

when you get your suction going ...

New nickname from me to you: Dyson

3. Actually, I don't think that's the worst thing most people say about Freeman. He sounds as pompous, two-faced, condescending and bitter (for reasons I can't figure out) as he was six years ago, when he went on his famous rant.

4. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

From the interview...

Seriously?

5. shockey

shockey Active Member

how long before this thread is locked? ??? ??? ???

6. Mighty_Wingman

If this thread is locked, it's for one of two reasons:

1) It turns ugly, personal and pointless, as too many threads around here do.

or

2) It's locked because a moderator gets paranoid and pre-emptively shuts down a perfectly good, if emotional, discussion -- as too many threads around here do.

No. 1 would be a shame. But No. 2 would be a damn shame.

7. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

No danger of lockage if it keeps going this way. Nothing wrong here so far.

8. Editude

Editude Active Member

The what-other-job-has-this-forum tangent was interesting, but I found the arrogance and ordinary "writing" off-putting. It speaks well of Chet that he balanced Freeman's experience with his resume goof, although the lack of contrition is weak. And the book, like most of the SportsLine content, is OK at best. His work has found a low-editing, low-expectation level.

9. Mighty_Wingman

You're a beautiful man. I mean that in a totally Platonic way.

And for the record, I wasn't thinking of you.

10. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

So who is on the super secret Enemies List that ESPN is compiling besides Will Leitch and Whitlock? Is the Mouse really that petty? (Wait, maybe that was a rhetorical question....)

I will say this about Freeman: Yes, it was one of the all-time dumb moves to lie about having a degree, since it certainly didn't and does not affect how he does his job. But if something similar happened to me, I'd want to know who ratted me out too. It's just human nature. It doesn't mean Freeman is without fault, or even that he has any kind of grounds for a legal case. It just means he wants to know who went out of their way to yank the football away at the last minute, ala Lucy from Peanuts. Maybe someone did do it as revenge for the Sportspages manifesto. Maybe he unfairly labeled someone a misogynist or a racist, and it was payback, but maybe he correctly pegged someone as a misogynist or a racist, they were pissed about it, and decided to have the last vindictive laugh. It's unlikely we'll ever know. It's not as if one side has to be right for the other to be wrong. They can both be wrong, frankly. And to be honest, even a pompous, two-faced, bitter person who lied about his college transcripts is still right sometimes.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

D_D,

I agree that it's human nature to want to find out who the rat is.

But it's something that I would try to keep to myself.

Reminds me of the guy who rear-ended another car and blamed the driver in front of him for stopping.

12. shockey

shockey Active Member

the folks in the biz who claim never to check out SportsJournalists.com are like players and coaches who say they don't read the newspaper. they're all lying. :eek:

Draft saved Draft deleted