1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Great Mike Freeman interview on The Big Lead

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mizzougrad96, Mar 12, 2007.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

http://www.thebiglead.com

SportsJournalists.com is mentioned prominently. It's a great read...

2. I can't get on the site. Anyone else having problems?

3. Mizzougrad96

I just got there no problem...

For the record, I am a huge Freeman fan. I wish there were more people who were as open and honest in this business and I can't wait to read his book on sports journalism...

To a large extent, we owe him for this site. If Freeman's rant never existed, the sportspages board wouldn't have gotten pub and then after that wuss Rich Johnson shut it down, this site may have never been started...

Of course, we also owe Webby for this site as well... :)

4. And Freeman's expertise in media theory comes from exactly where?
    His ESPN book was a loud, pale knockoff of McCambridge's SI masterpiece. I'm not optimistic.

5. Mizzougrad96

McCambridge's SI book was a masterpiece... I still loved Freeman's ESPN book... I never have been able to look at Mike Tirico in the same way ever again...

6. "One of my pet peeves is that a number of journalists commit plagiarism, crimes, cheat on their wives, lie all the time, steal information from other writers, etc. But only a select few are busted and punished. The system will try to crush one person for committing a sin while ignoring and even protecting many others."

What in hell is he saying here? That newspapers should punish their employees for adultery?
    I remain not optimistic.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I also think that his bit about finding out who ratted him out in Indy is bush league. Hey, you falsified your resume.

Who's fault is it that you got caught, Mike? Yours.

Other than that, this business is like a lot of others. People don't mind you succeeding, just not at their perceived expense.

8. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

I enjoy Freeman's writing for the most part and thought that interview was a good read, so thanks for pointing it out.

9. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Not sure I'd call that an 'interview'....more like an updated rant....some serious holier-than-thou going on there. But entertaining nonetheless.

Agree with Ace completely about the resume 'investigation'....he's going to get a lawyer find out who ratted out his false resume? Tortious intereference, for uncovering a lie?

Love some of the follow-up comments from readers....but come on guys, save some for SJ.

10. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Freeman is a confusedly bitter fellow. He calls out NY writers. He calls out Sean Salisbury. He calls out SportsJournalists.com. But when he gets called out, he calls a lawyer.

Hey, Mike, man up. As my attorney says, "I don't threaten to sue."

11. The threat worked for Big Tobacco in the Jeffrey Wigand affair. For a while, anyway.

12. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

That's great. A thief interviewing a liar.

Draft saved Draft deleted