1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Great Jenkins lead on SI.com

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Cousin Jeffrey, Nov 21, 2007.

1. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

I think I am more excited about the ad I read on the side of one of those classic stories than I am about that batch of stories itself.

"Read every story published in the pages of Sports Illustrated. Coming Spring 2008!"

I normally stray from exclamation points. But, yeah, put me down for at least two or three. I can only hope whatever SI puts together is as good as The Complete New Yorker.

2. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Not a great lead, not a sucky one.

Pretty boiler-plate, I thought.

3. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

I recite this on bended knee at bedside before I lay me down to sleep on Thanksgiving's Eve.

In the land of the pickup truck and cream gravy for breakfast, down where the wind can blow through the walls of a diner and into the grieving lyrics of a country song on a jukebox -- down there in dirt-kicking Big Eight territory -- they played a football game on Thanksgiving Day that was mainly for the quarterbacks on the field and for self-styled gridiron intellectuals everywhere.

Psalm 35-31

YHS, etc

4. chazp

chazp Active Member

True, it was a different era then. It must have went over well then, for the memory to have lasted so long.

5. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

Rice: "Outlined across a blue-gray October sky, the four horsemen ..."
    Editor: What the fuck is Rice talking about? Who gives a fuck about horsemen? Homer."

6. -Scoop-

-Scoop- Member

My thoughts exactly.

I'm not too sure why this lead deserved its own thread.

Draft saved Draft deleted