1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Great, heartbreaking piece by NYT's Dan Barry on Bristol Press

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JohnnyChan, Dec 15, 2008.

1. JohnnyChan

JohnnyChan Member

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/15/us/15land.html?pagewanted=2&_r=1&ref=us

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

What paper do Bristolians take? The Courant?

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Mostly the Courant although some will take the New Haven Register. My former hockey stringer, Jack Lautier, who also wrote a couple of books about the Hartford Whalers, worked at the Bristol Press. Jack died a few years ago but he was kind of a curmudgeon's curmudgeon and I'd love to have heard his take on the stuff that's happening there.

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I think JohnnyC's link takes you to page 2...here's the link to the beginning of the story:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/15/us/15land.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1&ref=us

5. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Thanks for that link, JC. Outstanding read.

I know that our local newspapers face their own struggles ... but at least they'll live or die on their own, not at the command of someone in an office several states away.

6. JohnnyChan

JohnnyChan Member

Thanks for the assist, 21. My ham-handedness with linking knows no bounds ...

7. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

That could be written about my shop -- except we don't know the date of death yet. Probably sooner rather than later.

8. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

That was awesome, and this gem was absolutely friggin perfect...

"....Let us pause long enough to notice that copy of The Bristol Press sitting on the sleek gray counter of the Applewood diner, its crossword puzzle half-complete, its clue for 20 across, five letters — “positive thinking” — unanswered. ....."

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

i'm on a train into nyc right now and read the hard copy. man alive. made me a bit ... choked up with that last graph. what a great story chock full of emotion. felt like i was right there in bristol.

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

That was a truly great line.

11. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Just a very simple, great last paragraph, too:

12. koolbreeze

koolbreeze Member

Great, great article ... really hits home. Thanks for the link, JC.

Draft saved Draft deleted