1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Great, great feature, and a perfect example of interjecting "I" into a story

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by GBNF, Dec 30, 2007.

1. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

Take a look:

He barely talks to Clark, but because of his research and prior knowledge of the subject, he pulls it off...

Belongs in BASW if ya ask me...

http://www.lasvegasweekly.com/content/nc/news/single-story/article/the-long-fall/

2. pallister

pallister Guest

"facing prison time and alcoholism" -- how do you face alcoholism?

3. JLawson

JLawson Member

I don't agree. This story is so long and bogged down with the author's words that I was bored. It may be good writing, but it is essential to have some quotes.

4. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Yeah. I struggled with it a bit, too.
    It's not that I felt it lacked anything. It just felt I was reading in a Lunesta fog not sure of direction, motive or point. I suppose if I had a connection to Keon Clark, that may help. But, being neither from Las Vegas, Danville or interested in a fringe NBA player may of lost me from the genesis. The piece could have used some serious tightening.

5. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

This is interesting. I have no ties, either, but I found the story compelling.

That brings me to another point: Is great writing subjective?

I've forwarded my dad — an avid reader, btw — a Posnanski feature that I thought was awesome and he hated it. He wasnt a huge fan of the Pete Carroll Moehringer piece, either.

Hmm.

6. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

I read it all the way through and thought it was decent, but that's because I followed Clark at UNLV and always thought he could've/should've been better than he was.

That being said, it was a tad long and overwritten, and I didn't like how he tied his alcoholism into things toward the end, when he was talking to Bayno.

But overall, a real solid piece, IMO.

7. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

Norman, just wondering, but what's overwritten IYO?

I'm having a hard time myself with staying away from overwriting, so I always try to stop it...

8. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

I glossed over some of the background stuff when he was in Danville.

Setting the scene is important, of course, but I think he just took it a bit too far.

Draft saved Draft deleted