1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Great, great article

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by spud, Oct 27, 2006.

1. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

I know it's a sporadic kind of thing and they don't have to produce week after week after week, but I'm in awe every time I read PLAY.

2. Jeff Gluck

Jeff Gluck Member

One question unrelated to Parcells: Is this part true?

"The cornerback is now the best-paid defensive position and the left tackle the second-best-paid offensive position; indeed, after the quarterback, the left tackle is the highest-paid position on the field."

Awesome story though.

3. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Great story. Lewis has done some great stuff for NYT -- I loved his article last year on Mike Leach.

4. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Great story, indeed.

Although, it's nice to know that even the best can lay an egg like:

And even this isn't exactly accurate:

Does his stuff actually get edited, I (and "Jason Whitten") are beginning to wonder.

5. enigami

enigami Member

Yeah, Whitten stuck out like a sore thumb. Reminded me of a separate thread here about mistakes getting through Sports Illustrated's copy editors, really devaluing the mag's legacy, if not the product itself. Too bad. This is very good journalism, very good sports writing, and one miserable SOB coach.

6. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

"An article last Sunday in Play magazine about Dallas Cowboys Coach Bill Parcells misstated the surname of a Dallas tight end. He is Jason Witten, not Whitten. The article also misstated the position that Chris Cooley of the Washington Redskins plays, and misidentified the former team of Washington's running back T. J. Duckett. Cooley is a tight end, not a wide receiver. Duckett played for Atlanta, not Denver. The article also referred incorrectly to a playoff game last season in which Dallas's kicker, Mike Vanderjagt, then with the Indianapolis Colts, missed a potential game-tying field goal against Pittsburgh. It was a divisional playoff game, not a conference championship game."

Longest correction ever?

7. turnovers

turnovers Member

Geeze, retract the whole story, why don't they. That's an awful big jumbled up mess for one story. It was quite the piece, though, errors aside.

8. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Two innocent questions.

I notice a couple of folks here commenting on the number of errors in a very long piece by Michael Lewis. Errors then corrected by the magazine.

Presuming you work as writers, what's your average error rate per piece? And how often does your publication bother to print a correction?

9. enigami

enigami Member

I plead no contest to all charges of hypocrisy.

But ...

Anyone who plays fantasy football would catch the Whitten mistake. It'd be like a room full of undergrad astrophysics students pointing out an arithmetic error by Stephen Hawking.

10. Human_Paraquat

Human_Paraquat Well-Known Member

I believe that is true. I know a few years ago the highest-paid player in football was Jonathan Ogden, which shocked me.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

I haven't read this story but I hate it. [/Joe Morgan]

12. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Besides, BYH, would I want to read a story Bill Parcells wrote about himself? [/Joe Morgan]

Draft saved Draft deleted