1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Great finish to LPGA major!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Thank you, Sam, for the shout-out.

Yes, it couldn't have worked out better -- especially since Lincicome has been battling wrist injuries and a swing change that have kept her off the LPGA map for more than a year. She hasn't won since the '07 Ginn Open (RIP).

Two stories here: First, I was lucky enough to get an invite to play in the Kraft Nabisco pro-am. The girlfriend of a co-worker works for the tournament and they had a few spots open. So my co-workers let me take the one spot we were given as a birthday present.

And yes, playing with Moira Dunn (who I can't believe has won only one event; her swing is seamless and she didn't hit a bad shot in 18 holes) and Giulia Sergas, we finished way back in the pack because your's truly can't hit an iron to save his life these days.

But I digress. That hole doesn't get nearly enough credit as being one of the great finishing holes in ALL of golf. Period. Especially when they move it up to 485 on Sunday. Lincicome had 210 to the pin and 190 to clear the water and she said if she had more than a hybrid, she'd have to lay up because a 3-wood can't hold that green.

Instead, she parks it to 5 feet, then drains the eagle. Studette.

Story No. 2. Two years ago, Brittany, her friend Katherine Hull, a co-worker of mine and some of our clients had dinner one night in Charleston. I told her I was going to be in Florida in December for the Father/Son. So Brittany tells me to e-mail her when I'm there, she'd come out and myself, a co-worker and her would go to dinner.

Well, I get there, e-mail her and hear back a day later that she can't make it ... "Because I'm having dinner with the rest of the Solheim Cup team at the White House."

Hard to take that personally.

Seriously, that was a GREAT outcome for a class act.

2. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

Brittany is a wonderful young lady. Couldn't have happened to someone nicer.

3. You know, there's one t hing about that 18th hole no one's talked about yet. There was another really great shot on that hole, and that was Cristie Kerr's long birdie putt from just off the fringe that put a little extra pressure on Lincicome.

If Lincicome had missed that eagle putt (and granted her approach made it highly unlikely she would, but she still had to execute), it would've meant a three-way playoff,. But give Brittany credit, she drained it.

4. I was kind of disappointed she only won $300,000 for a major. I thought she would bagged about a million bucks.
    Did the purse for the event get smaller?

5. If I recall correctly she bagged $600,00 for one her other wins, might have been the HSBC Match Play event.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I can't ever remember watching LPGA before, but I turned it on with three holes to go I turned it on.

Brittany's mic commentary was fantastic as the ball turned toward the hole on 18 - I don't know one thing about any of the players (except one of the three kissed that phallic trophy years ago) but I completely enjoyed those last three holes of golf.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Smaller purses are in now. So stylish!

8. Since I was wondering

It's worth waiiting the extra time to watch it in hi def top see the ball better on the roll on the green

9. poindexter

"Oh, please be good...."

That is fantastic.

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

Wow. Just wow.

And I mean that in the very best of ways. What a shot. :)

11. poindexter

I turned it on specifically because there was no other sports in hi-def at that hour, besides the men's tournament.

I don't mean this as a smartass: the addition of hi-def has made me become a tv golf fan. I've had my hi-def for a year, and I still sit in wonder, watching it.

12. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Very well said, Junkie.

Draft saved Draft deleted