1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Great Eclipse of 2017

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Jul 22, 2017.

1. My sister - who home schools - is taking her family to someplace in Tennesseee for totality.
    She said hotels rates are through the roof.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I'll be interested in seeing front pages from the papers in the path of totality.

Curious what the main art will be. The semi-obvious choice --- telescopic view of the eclipse itself --- doesn't tell the readers "it was here!!!", as you could take a photo of one in Australia and no one would know the difference. And those kind of photos have been used in all the preview/explainer stories anyway.

To me the interesting choice is a photo that shows the eclipse high in the sky, but shows the surrounding darkness of the local city, preferably with some local landmark visible.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I'll be most interested in seeing how wildlife react to the totality. Will guys out fishing see a night bite in the middle of it? Will bats and other nocturnal animals awaken?

4. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I am directly in the path, so all I have to do is step outside my house. I even got a Booches T-shirt to commemorate it.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Birds in particular do react.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The 2024 eclipse should be a hum-dinger too.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
  8. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I know of two groups of friends doing this. Two couples rented an RV and have campground reservations in Idaho. They expect to be in Boise on Aug. 20 and drive to a viewing spot on Highway 55 on Aug. 21. They are also continuing their trip into Wyoming and Montana after the event. The other group is flying to Tennessee. Don't know their plans.
    I heard about confused birds. We have a lot of birds in my neighborhood. Maybe we should put Jack Daniel's in the bird bath to really screw them up.

9. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Unlike people, birds aren't stupid. They wouldn't drink Jack Daniels.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  10. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

When hotel rooms are sold out in hot-as-hell Idaho Falls in the middle of summer, something strange must be happening.

11. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Except the ones that crash-landed on the football field at Boise State. Maybe all the stupid birds are in Idaho.

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Traffic here in the Mountain time zone is going to be insane. One major way into Wyoming is from Denver and it's going to be crazy. Thus, we're going up early and coming back down a back way.

Draft saved Draft deleted