1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Great Eclipse of 2017

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Jul 22, 2017.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

One month out for the first total eclipse from coast to coast in the U.S. in 99 years. 200 million people are within one day's drive of being in the path of totality.

I'm geeked up for it. Only about 90 percent totality for Denver and the Front Range, so I'm heading north into Wyoming and/or Nebraska -- along with millions of others, though I have alternate plans to avoid the mass rush the day before.

Predictions of massive traffic jams, people camping out as early as Friday and Saturday along I-25. Millions packing into Casper. Last time I checked, one room available in Casper the night before the eclipse -- for $1,700.

Anyone else have plans to check out the big show on Aug. 21 -- weather permitting?

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

A total solar eclipse will pass directly over my grave at 11:54 am on my 141st birthday. The first total eclipse in recorded history at that location.

Woo hoo.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
  3. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I was thinking about going to Glendo reservior that morning from Denver. Thought I could leave at 4 A.M.. Normally a three hour drive and or so so I would allow six. Maybe I should leave earlier. I think finding a hotel north of Cheyenne is a no-hoper so would try for an early morning exit.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
  4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Local officials out this way are saying it will be a "trial run" of the Cascadia earthquake. I imagine local tourism people weren't pleased.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

We'll get 98 percent totality, being about 50 miles away from the path. But the paper I work on is a capital city right on the path, so they're doing stories every week (would be surprised if they didn't do a special section).

I suspect clouds/rain will fuck it up for a lot of people, however.

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I was pumped up for this, but I'm pretty far outside the path of totality. Thought about flying somewhere to see it, but doesn't look like we're going to do it.

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

The totality goes over my old hometown, so I can stay with my parents for free. The astronomy professors at the local college are putting together a viewing party at the football stadium, complete with free glasses.

9. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Scheduled to be in a meeting @ work at the time....a meeting in the basement....

10. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I have a bunch of friends who are traveling to go see it but I really have no interest. I'm not sure why. I remember the eclipse in 1979 and found it very creepy. So enjoy the eclipse, all who are interested. I'll see footage on TV.

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Glendo was high on my radar for several months, but keep hearing people need to be in place by Sunday afternoon -- 24 hours before it happens. I-25 is going to be a zoo. We were going to leave about 2 a.m. but decided to go backward. Heading up Saturday to South Dakota to Rushmore -- never been; it's about a six-hour drive -- the early Monday morning, drop into a little town in Nebraska that is directly over the path of totality.

My brother-in-law got his pilot's license within the past year and is going to fly into the town early Monday morning. There's a big festival all weekend, but we've got seats at the airport along with glasses. I'm sure it's going to be crowded everywhere, but Wyoming is supposed to be off-the-charts nuts.

Draft saved Draft deleted