1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Great comedian Soupy Sales passes away at 83

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by D-3 Fan, Oct 23, 2009.

1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Soupy was my all-time favorite growing up. His show, which originated from WNEW in New York in the mid-'60s, beat the holy hell out of Captain Kangaroo, Romper Room -- whatever you want to put up against it. White Fang was awesome. I even remember my parents making me do the Soupy shuffle to entertain the family after Thanksgiving dinner at my grandparents' house one year, '66 maybe.

2. Sales never said that stuff...
    Those were all misattributed to him. He had a standing offer of $10,000 to anyone who could produce a clip of him saying any of that stuff.

http://www.snopes.com/radiotv/tv/soupy2.asp

RIP to a funny West Virginian.

3. And y'know what Soupy will send you? A postcard from Puerto Rico. ;D

Ah, we'll miss you, Soupy. RIP, indeed.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

What's my line was nothing without Soupy Sales.

5. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Not only Hunt, but his kid Tony, too -- both were in the Iggy Pop band that gave us the "Lust for Life" album and the classic into to the title song.

6. shockey

shockey Active Member

an all-timer. rip, soupy. thanks for the many laughs and memories. best to white fang. ;)

7. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I never missed his show, including the time he was mentioning all of his puppets and held up his hand.
    "This is for Pookie," he said, pulling down his little finger.
    "This is for Hippy," he said, pulling down his thumb.
    "This is for White Fang," he said, pulling down his ring finger.
    "This is for Black Tooth," he said, pulling down his index finger.
    "And this is for the producer," he said with his middle finger still the only one up.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Eat Lunch With Soupy - dang that was fun.

9. Bud_Bundy

Bud_Bundy Well-Known Member

Growing up in Northwest Ohio, I used to watch him on Detroit TV when the conditions were right ... usually fuzzy reception and broken audio, but to a little kid, he was hilarious.

RIP.

10. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Oh fuck, that "kissed on the strikes/balls" line has been attributed to everyone. I think it was Abner Doubleday's line.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

When I was a kid and saw him on game shows I always thought he and Fannie Flagg should get together. I guess I should have figured something out when she appeared on Tattletales with Dick Sargent.

RIP Soupy.

Draft saved Draft deleted