1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Great column:Religion reporter quits his beat, and his church, and explains why.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Jul 22, 2007.

1. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Re: Great column:Religion reporter quits his beat, and his church, and explains

With all due respect, FB, I have to nit-pick.

Abortion, birth control, pay equity, etc. are not "women's issues." They are issues faced by our society, regardless of gender.

Abortion affects men, because men contribute to pregnancy. Same with birth control and child care, because men have children (or lack thereof). Pay equity affects men when their female partners contribute less to the household than is their due.

The only topics I can think of that don't affect men at all are tampons and underwires. Though with the increased occurrence of man-boobs, we may be down to the former.

------------

As to the topic at hand, I found the column fascinating. I have seen a lot of religion journalism in the years since the Bush Administration that simply seeks to pander to the evangelicals.

And I wouldn't expect the dominating group (white, male, church leader) to accept or understand what it's like to be ostracized by the dominating group.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Speaking from experience, when you write something about your own religious beliefs that can be in any way misconstrued as bashing more mainstream beliefs, you will get attacked -- and you will get attacked harshly -- by a small, closed-minded segment of the population looking to discredit you and/or ostracize you.

3. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

If that piece appeared in my local daily, I guarantee that the writer's inbox would soon be brimming with hate emails. I wouldn't say threats would be too likely, but I wouldn't rule them out.

On the flip side, he'd probably have a few emails commending the column and a few that were critical but semi-sympathetic. Still, I'd bank on a majority of the emails being hostile and mindless.

I live in a medium-sized city in the Southwest...very outwardly religious and Protestant, with a modest Catholic population and a miniscule Mormon presence, BTW.

4. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

There was a Jewish writer in the Triad region of North Carolina in the early 1990s who wrote a column because he didn't like the fact that there were pregame prayers before public high school games. I thought it was a fair column, but could have easily predicted the reaction. There was such negative reaction from readers that he was fired.

5. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

[​IMG]

The Inquisition, what a show!
    The Inquisition, here we go!
    We know you're wishin' that we'd go away!
    So all you Muslims and you Jews
    We got big news for all of youse!
    You'd better change your point of views TODAY!
    'Cause the Inquisition's here and it's here to stay!

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

That was a good read.

7. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Jesus abhorred a lot about organized religion too. But then he opened the door to the worst of the worst so why wouldn't his door at some point be open for religion organizers, corrupt as they may be? He spoke that way to the High Priests and the Jewish inner circle to wake them up to what they, like some of the institution today, has become.

8. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Was it really necessary to quote the entire column?

9. Re: Great column:Religion reporter quits his beat, and his church, and explains

nice to know his paper had his back

10. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Really, give us a break with that.

11. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

I wonder what Jesus would think about modern Christianity.

12. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

He'd start a new religion.

Draft saved Draft deleted