1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Great column:Religion reporter quits his beat, and his church, and explains why.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Jul 22, 2007.

1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Re: Great column:Religion reporter quits his beat, and his church, and explains

I think Mormons, in general, are very good people, but the group as a whole is pretty terrible about ostracizing people, including family, who've left the church.

2. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Getting you to admit that you were a Mormon was almost too easy, seabird.

3. Stretch15

Stretch15 Member

You act as if that's a bad thing...

I'm proud to say I'm a Mormon.

4. writing irish

Sorry the tone of my two previous posts was so irritable, but I admit, I was irritated.

I figured you were a Mormon because I couldn't imagine anyone without ties to that church scoffing so vigorously at the notion that Mormons treat non-Mormons, particularly ex-Mormons, poorly.

So despite my initial irritability, I've no desire to start a pissing contest about this...in fact, I don't even know how useful a civil discussion on this topic would be. "Do Mormons treat people of other faiths poorly?" is a question where the answers are impossible to quantify, so all evidence is necessarily anecdotal and subjective. Those are the kinds of discussions where people typically bludgeon each other with their own preconceived notions, with little result.

However, I will assert this: If any religious organization is faced with charges, official or otherwise, that the organization has misbehaved...I suggest that the faithful should listen with a sympathetic ear, rather than a knee-jerk, "No way!"

5. Stretch15

Stretch15 Member

Well stated Writing.

The answer to your question "Do Mormons treat people of other faiths poorly?" is "Most do. Some do not.".

I believe that answer would be the same if you switched the word Mormons to many other religious groups: "Most do. Some do not."

I have a problem with generalizations...hence my rant.

6. writing irish

You have a problem with ALL generalizations? You're ready to pass judgement on a generalization without even hearing it first? :D

Fair enough, Stretch. Peace.

7. Stretch15

Stretch15 Member

As soon as I hit the Post button, I knew that response was coming ;-)

Well done.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Until the CC confronts this issue squarely and thoroughly, they have grevious credibility problems.

9. Jersey_Guy

Jersey_Guy Active Member

Great column. Didn't read long to me. Very honest.

And I don't think he's asking off the beat just because he's lost his faith. He sounds tired of the subject itself. Tired of living it and reporting it. I think any of us who have covered a beat long enough have had those feelings at times.

As for the generalizations ... sometimes they're founded in truth. I'm Catholic, but his generalizations about how the church has handled the sex abuse scandals is, IMO, right on target. My experience with the LDS church is not personal, but I've had enough Mormon friends and friends who fell away from Mormonism, to say his generalizations there also ring true. As for televangelists ... nothing more need be said.

10. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Why?

11. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Think of how many e-mails he now has containing death threats, or ones just calling him a Godless heathen. Can't imagine that's too fun.

12. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Give me a break.

Draft saved Draft deleted