1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Great column:Religion reporter quits his beat, and his church, and explains why.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Jul 22, 2007.

1. Re: Great column:Religion reporter quits his beat, and his church, and explains

thought it was a good, engaging read, didn't feel too long

solid, honest writing

but i agree with FB -- an athiest should cover religion, the same way you don't want a Dodgers fan covering the Dodgers

2. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

I covered one team in particular that I ended up hating. I found myself reveling in its (many, many) failures. It was time for me to go, so I did.

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Re: Great column:Religion reporter quits his beat, and his church, and explains

That's an excellent column. Very powerful.

4. boots

boots New Member

Again, I encourage everyone here to check this link out. It will be a great help to many.
    http://www.humanmedia.org/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=30&products_id=154

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Maybe he just felt he couldn't objectively do it anymore.

6. Why?
    Because he might not believe in any organized religion any more?
    I'm tired of our business kowtowing all the time to the tender feelings of the various monotheisms and their mailing lists.

7. Flying Headbutt

Who was he kowtowing to? The guy decided himself without telling anyone about it first. I agree with your last sentence but I'm just not sure it applies here.

8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Re: Great column:Religion reporter quits his beat, and his church, and explains

It could also be that he's more than a little burned out after years on the "molester priest" beat.

9. I buy burned out.
    I don't buy that you can't cover religion if you don't believe.

10. Flying Headbutt

He didn't explicitly say that's what happened either. You're jumping to conclusions.

11. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

It's a pretty classic musing. Told over and over, just not very often by a mainstream journalist.

It happens to a lot of people because to many God and religion is about what happens on earth. The true concept of God is redeeming your soul for what happens after life.
    People fail, God does not. Churches fail, God does not. Religion fails, God does not.
    If that leap of faith is based on the people, the church and the religion, it will fail.

God offers to save us and promises a better life after this one, he never promises a better life here. People get religion hoping right away that they get a better life right away. That's not what God is about. He makes no such promise.

Oh and also for purposes of the column, I think there's a misleading bit in there. He lumps in Billy Graham with those appearing on TBN, which suggests he may be part of this corrupt, money hungry network. Yes TBN has shown Billy Graham crusades (as have all three major networks), but to my knowledge Graham hasn't appeared on TBN in any other fashion. I could be wrong.

12. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Amen! (to the original column)

Draft saved Draft deleted