1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Great column:Religion reporter quits his beat, and his church, and explains why.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Jul 22, 2007.

1. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Do you ever post on non political threads? Just curious.

2. Re: Great column:Religion reporter quits his beat, and his church, and explains

I actually liked that post, Yawn, even if it was a bit predictable coming from you.

My contribution: "Compassionate conservative."

3. He loves American Idol.

4. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Oddly enough, I hate that term too. I'm guessing we have different reasons.

5. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

The boneless etymologist weighs in with more commentary! Gutless, but his wit and erudition cut like a scalpel!

6. duckncover

duckncover Member

Not sure I understand. There are references to a belief in "God" all the time in the newspaper that are not part of direct quotes.

i.e.

----------
    Jones said she put all her faith in God.
    ----------

The very existence of God is unproven. Therefore the reporter should put quotes around it.

7. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

The use of quote marks can come off as sarcastic. The sentence above is fine because you're not actually calling God God1, she is. Or possible "she puts her faith in her god" or "she puts her faith in the Judeo-Christian God" or whatever.

1 -- God God sounds like a new wave band.

8. JackS

JackS Member

Exactly. Even if you accept God as nothing more than a concept, there's no reason to put it in quotes. Anyone who would put every reference to God in quotes is just trying to be obnoxious, not objective.

In that effort, I suggest the obnoxious one start putting 2007 in quotes too, because we all know the year is based on you-know-who.

In fact, break out the quotation marks for everything you can't see or touch. It's all subjective.

Some of the "objectivity" here is "hilarious."

9. Quote
    Apologize.
    Unquote

Draft saved Draft deleted