1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Great California blackout coming

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Spartan Squad, Oct 8, 2019.

1. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Saw on the news that empty big rigs were toppling over on the 15 in the Fontana area (around Limonite, it is always windy there even when it isn't windy elsewhere). My friend is a big rig trucker and his company is on Jurupa, just east of the 15. Scary stuff. He lives in Victorville so he has to drive up through the Cajon Pass every day. Hang in there, bro.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

There are at least two fires in the I.E., the other one in the Jurupa Valley, south of my hometown. Shut down the 60. Those winds out of the Cajon Pass are always brutal.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, there were at least three trucks that tipped over, most likely empty. That's right there at the bottom of the pass and happens frequently when the winds really crank up.

4. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Okay, so my understanding is that PG&E has been turning off the power to avoid the power lines to those areas from starting a fire. PG&E has been providing power to most of Central and Northern California for over 100 years (I think), what have they been doing to guard against this situation the past say 50 years?

I was describing this was like telling people to not driver their car because they might have an accident. What about doing something to prevent an accident?

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And, were these winds anything worse than what we've seen in previous years when they left the lights on? But being forced into bankruptcy after losing two big court cases will change how one does business.

8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

No. High winds? That's what got the Oakland Fire of 1991 going. Ridiculous. I hope the creditors commitee gets the bankruptcy judge to shoot down any bonus payments because of how this is being administered.

Draft saved Draft deleted