1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Great Bend (Kan.) Tribune sports writer

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by HandsomeHarley, Aug 4, 2007.

1. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

From JournalismJobs via Kansas Press Association:

Sports Writer. Medium-sized five-day daily seeking sports writer as part of a two-person sports team to cover a region with a rich athletic tradition, from high school to college. These teams have racked up state and national titles. The right candidate should also be able to find the story behind the box score and understand the importance of all sports at all levels. Contact Dale Hogg, managing editor, at 620-792-1211, ex 226. Resumes, clips and references can be e-mailed to dhogg@gbtribune.com or mailed to P.O. Box 228, Great Bend, KS 67530. 8/2/07

Anyone know anything about this paper? Two-person staff seems small for a city the size of Great Bend.

2. billikens

billikens Member

Not a bad place to get started, but as is the case in most central/western Kansas towns, there's not much out there. The current SE is a great guy to work with and while the work is probably a bit too much for two people, he goes above and beyond to make sure you're not overwhelmed with work. The main HS went to the football state championship game last year and won back to back basketball championships the two previous years. Area high schools have also collected football/basketball/track state championships over the last few years. Barton County may not be the hotbed for national news like it was two or three years ago, but it's still a solid JUCO turning out good players.

Like I said, the town isn't much, but it's not too hard to have a good time. Any more specific questions, shoot me a PM.

3. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

The Barton County men's basketball coach is Craig Fletchall. You will not find a cooler dude to work with than him.

4. billikens

billikens Member

I thought I had put that in there, but KC is correct. When it comes to working with a college coach, Fletchall is about as good as it gets.

Draft saved Draft deleted