1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Great American Dream Vote

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HeinekenMan, Mar 28, 2007.

1. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

I was checking tonight's listings, and I spotted an unfamiliar show, the Great American Dream Vote. I had no clue what it was, but I'm watching the recording now. I could swear that I'm watching a prolonged Saturday Night Live skit that bombed.

The first thing you should know is that it's hosted by Donny Osmond, who is back in the primetime slot and looks just like he did back in the height of his fame.

The concept is to have an audience choose between people who have some dream that they want to come true. Oddly, some of the dreams seem absolutely impossible to fulfill.

The first two contestants were 20-something bald guys who wanted hair transplants. Then they went into a competition featuring a lady who seems to fashion herself after the Desperate Housewives set. She was pleading with the audience to make her daughter Miss America. Apparently, her daughter has no goal in life other than being a beauty queen. And she really should be. After all, she looked into the camera on a video clip they showed and proudly, and somewhat smugly, told the audience that five little girls have been buried with her crowns. Apparently, she gives her crowns to a children's cancer center. And she's quite proud of this.

Each person pleads with the audience when they're introduced. Then they get to talk for a few seconds. Then they're given one final 15 seconds, which ends with them being cut off by dear Donny, to convince the audience to vote for them. Then the winners plead again later in the show. And, at the end of the day, nobody actually wins.

Well, it's apparently time to vote for your favorite. Your choices are a bald 22-year-old who wants to score chicks and a super-hot blonde who wants to run a home for a certain breed of dogs, and only those in the breed who are older than 9. Apparently, there is demand for this.

I say, when the dogs turn 9, kill them and give that dude their hair. He can glue it on his big fat bald head. This has to be the worst game show I've ever seen. I actually started to think maybe I had fallen asleep and was having some sort of odd dream.

2. XXXX

XXXX Member

I unfortunatly watched this shit too. They are marketing this all wrong though. Instead of seeing ONE persons dreams come true, they are actually crushing the dreams of the FIVE other contestants on national television!! Great television! I'm going to hell.

3. HeinekenMan

I thought the same thing. They basically drag people out there and let the audience tell them that their personal dreams are stupid and unworthy of public interest.

4. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

One more reason why most TV is patently evil. Watch a movie instead, folks. Or watch a game.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

"The first thing you should know is that it's hosted by Donny Osmond"

So, you put on a show called "Great American Dream Vote." You see Donny fucking Osmond is the host. And you leave it on? And you're surprised to find the "show" is complete dreck?

And we wonder about the dumbing down of American culture when even people who should know better watch this kind of shit even once?

6. HeinekenMan

I couldn't change the channel. It was like I was trapped in the Twilight Zone and didn't know how to escape. I was in a trance. Besides, haven't you ever seen one of those calendars where all the pin-up girls are severely obese? This was like that, so awful that you just had to cherish it for a moment.

7. Bill Horton

Bill Horton Active Member

I thought this thread was about selecting Dusty Rhodes' best all-time match.

8. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

As an aside, and I'm sure Rallen13 could confirm this since he's got the years under his belt...

There was a show called Queen for a Day, where these three women would each tell their pathetic life story, the audience would decide who was the most retched and the winner would get a fridge, washer and dryer, etc.

Doesn't sound like TV has evolved very much since then.

9. rallen13

rallen13 Member

Absolutely correct, alleyallen.
    The show "Queen for a Day" was on in the mid- to late-50's. It was hosted by Jack Bailey, who would open the show with the call "Do YOU want to be Queen for a Day?!" The audience would reply "YES!" and four women contestants would tell a sob story, telling Bailey why they believed they should be crowned queen. Most were asking for merchandise prizes like washers and dryers and the like. After all four told their story the audience picked the winner by applause. The winner got pthe prizes and was wrapped in a red velvet robe and a crown. Usually they told stories like; their husband ran off and they have no washer to keep the kids clothes clean, or their home had burned and they were living in a tent with no TV, or some such. But there were some genuinely touching stories, such as the lady whose three-year old had polio and her husband had become a double amputee in an industrial accident, and she was legally blind. They gave her an iron lung for the child and prosthetics for the husband. The show and network (ABC, I think) supposedly checked their stories in advance.
    As an aside, Bailey was one of the voices of Walt Disney's "Goofy." He was also in radio for many years and was the star of TV's "Truth or Consequences" (preceded by Ralph Edwards and succeded by Bob Barker).
    Check the link below for a couple of pix and some infor on "Queen."

http://history.sandiego.edu/GEN/projects/hanley/queen.html

10. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

It's canceled (after only two episodes): http://www.tvweek.com/news.cms?newsId=11806

11. HeinekenMan

Such a shame. Maybe they can pick up Celebrity Bessie Bingo to take its place.

12. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

Oddly enough, you're almost right: http://www.realitytvworld.com/news/abc-premiere-new-national-bingo-night-tv-series-on-may-18-4860.php

ABC to premiere new 'National Bingo Night' TV series on May 18

Draft saved Draft deleted