1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Great advice for freelancers

Discussion in 'Writers' Workshop' started by Uncle Frosty, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Uncle Frosty

Uncle Frosty Member

Saw this on Twitter. Good stuff.

http://verbplow.blogspot.ca/2013/10/15-ways-to-survive-as-freelancer.html

One thing I would definitely add: You never know when you're getting paid, because getting you paid isn't a priority with most gigs.

I've had jobs where people I've worked with for years forgot to turn in an invoice or changed payment terms.

One of my clients last week told me the reason I didn't get paid this month is "this time of year, we are really busy, so we didn't get around to paying people."

I've had people pay me in five or six days or 150 days or more. You just don't ever know.

2. boxingnut4324

boxingnut4324 Member

Currently in one of those payment situations. I politely play the role of the squeaky wheel. I need the money and they want me out of their hair. So far it's working.

3. NancyLou

NancyLou Member

"Ass in chair" is my hardest part in this.

I wake up every morning around 5AM and while I'm making my first tea of the day I note there's some dirty dishes in the sink, and, oh, the island needs to be wiped down, and look at the dining room table and there's a load of clothes in the dryer that could use folding and the dogs need to be fed and I need to start the dishwasher and the kids are now up and need breakfast and... and... and... the list goes on and on.

I need more discipline... Ass in chair.

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Yes. Don't be afraid to remind them that you have not yet received payment for your work. Politely ask them if they can check on what is happening on their end and resend your invoice. I've had two of those situations recently -- one with a very large newspaper -- that I was finally able to resolve. The very large paper actually doubled my check to make up for having to wait five months to receive it.

Draft saved Draft deleted