1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greasey burgers, Bourbon, Faulkner, The Grove, Rebel Flag,Hwy 61....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Nov 12, 2014.

1. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

"Professional Southerner" Wright Thompson, as one of the Gawker guys called him.
    If he must make this his thing, at least de-regionalize the genre.
    Investigate football in Ohio and western Pennsylvania and Southern California and many other places where it thrives.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

If I may suggest, Wright, if you're here: Go do a thing on New Mexico 6-man and use Jose Porras at Lake Arthur as the seed of the story.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Not enough adversity or hard scrabble in Southern Cal genre. Ocean, bikini's, surf boards, healthy food, vintage cars, perfect weather,Crisp chardonnay ....

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Yes - death with bonus points if it's an announcer that did games since he was 12 and smoked 2 packs of Lucky Strikes a day for 60 years.

5. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I said this on another thread, but I was out with a bunch of journalists and former journalists recently and a friend, who is friends with Wright, said that a ESPN editor said about Wright, "He's Gary Smith if Gary Smith only wrote about Ole Miss, food and beer."

Once or twice a year, Wright reminds us how good he is. The Jordan piece comes to mind.

This was self-serving garbage. I read a story about Mississippi football on SI.com by Andy Staples that was far better than this.

6. RecoveringJournalist

http://www.thelocalvoice.net/oxford/?p=14926

7. 3_Octave_Fart

He is a travel writer. And ESPN ought to have one. Just mix it up a bit.

8. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

And a good one. He just needs to expand his horizons.

9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

10. 3_Octave_Fart

Ole Miss is exquisite for coed trim and its literary history. Other than that no more special than any Southern university

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

The football team is also pretty good right now.

In all honesty, what else is there?

12. RecoveringJournalist

It's a cool campus. It's a great place to watch a football game and the women there are crazy hot.

Plus, I think they recently started letting the coloreds use whatever drinking fountain they wanted. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted