1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

GRE

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Sneed, Nov 17, 2009.

1. Sneed

Sneed Guest

Just took the GRE for grad school admissions stuff. Holy crap. Did not do as well as I would have liked. Did the devil invent that thing or what?

2. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

i did a buttload of practice tests and did just fine (much, much better than i would've guessed) but it was several years ago.

3. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

The verbal portion, from what I understand, is a major bear. A bunch of words that you will never use in ordinary conversation.

Math, from what I understand, should be pretty simple if you brush up on your geometry and Algebra II. Maybe some pre-calc.

The writing analysis portion (find the holes in the argument) should be pretty easy for anyone who has copy desk experience.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I'm about to start preparing for GRE and/or LSAT.

5. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

I was literally guessing on the math portion -- "Hmm, B looks good." Fortunately I was going to grad school in communication and they didn't care about the math score.

6. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

I took the GRE some years back and did very poorly on it. Luckily the program I am in (secondary ed) did not require a GRE score.

7. ADodgen

ADodgen Member

I thought it was fun. This confirms my total and utter nerdiness. It's painful.

You can always retake it.

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

My goal is to find a grad school that doesn't care about the GRE.

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

There are a lot of schools now that don't require GREs.
    There even MBa programs that don't require GMATs, such as the new Welch School.

10. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

I knew someone who went to Columbia's J-school for his masters, and they didn't need a GRE.

11. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I took the computer-based GRE about 10 years ago and hated the fact that it was difficult to go back and review answers.

I did wel enough to get into the grad school of my choise, though.

12. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

And what a great grad school it was!

Draft saved Draft deleted