1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

gratuitous texting

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by writing irish, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Oh Geez, get help, would ya?

2. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Bravo. There's hope for the younger generation, yet.

Of course, that's counterbalanced by my son who texted me from the back seat of the car as we were driving home from dinner last night ::)

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Texting's OK, but I've got one friend who know will send three or four texts at work wondering why I haven't texted him back. Um, because I'm on deadline, dork, and I've told you that 35 times.

4. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

That's hilarious.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Hey, when I drop a "Hold me, Ani!" I expect a prompt fucking response.

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I told you that was private talk, dammit!

7. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

YEEEEAAAHHHHH! WHAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTT

8. The Granny

The Granny Guest

Or soak your hand in ice water and text yourself. It's called the "Icey Stranger" or, as I like to call it, The Granpda's love.

9. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I just threw up in my mouth ...

10. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

I taught my parents (who are right at 60ish) to text a couple years ago. The reasoning was that when my mother wanted to call and say hi (happens quite a bit), it was always when I was covering a game in a packed gym or stadium. And she's the kind that, even though she knows I'm working, would expect a return call at halftime or something must be terribly wrong...

So I taught her to text. And then, during a timeout, I can reply "alive; at game; send money" (ha) and she doesn't worry.

I got a new phone in late June. I haven't had to empty the sent messages yet...there are 805 sent messages, one week shy of it being two months old, and that includes transitioning friends to my new phone/number.

So yeah, I'm a text fiend. Sadly enough, I've cut down on a few because my new phone has internet/e-mail, too.

My only problem with texts is that, even with a smiley face, things can be completely misunderstood.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

OK, this isn't a text but an e-mail I received one minute ago from my 20 year old son, who just arrived in Nova Scotia for his second year at Acadia U:

sup dad
    dont knw if u got my email but im good jus got my internet n phone n stuff
    number is

Perfect or what?

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Unlimited texting, Internet and calls for $99/month.

KY have enjoyed many text-a-thons, especially during the days he had to cover middle school girls hoops.

Draft saved Draft deleted