1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gratuitous I'm-gonna-be-in-NYC-and-want-good-pizza thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by zimbabwe, May 10, 2008.

1. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

This thread has taken a wonderful, almost erotic turn.

Thanks. I'll have fun settling this "debate." Also, when I'm done, cankles. Man cankles.

2. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Cankles rule.

3. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

On that kind of pie, the fewer add-on toppings, the better,. The crust really can't handle a garbage pail. And the fresh taste doesn't need a lot of enhancement.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Respectfully disagree. I put Lombardi's about a notch below Grimaldi's. Not putting down Lombardi's because it is really special. And Soho is more convenient for most people. It's just not as as good, in my opinion. I don't put Totonno's in the class of either. At least the one on 2nd in the 20s that I have been to. I know there are others.

I still have never been to Di Fara, and it wouldn't do me as much good as it would have when I was way into pizza. It would be lost on me at this point. But the way people talk about it, I suspect it is all that. It's different, though, I think. Place like Grimaldi's is a sit-down order by the pie... Di Fara is more of a traditional pizzeria, less like a sit-down restaurant, at least from what I know. Also, Midwood is way off the beat and path. I haven't been to that neighborhood in at least a decade; no reason to unless you are from around there. As big a deal as some people make about Grimaldi's being crazy out there to get to, it is pretty convenient to Manhattan, which Di Fara isn't going to be. You can either walk across the Bridge or take the A or C train and it is the first stop after Broadway/Nassau to do Grimaldi's and DUMBO and Brooklyn Heights are actually kind of interesting places to check out.

The place in Park Slope -- and I don't spend much time there or really know the place well -- that gets talked about is Anthony's, I think. I'd have a look at it if it has to be in Park Slope. I have never eaten there, so I can't speak from experience.

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

So good that you don't care that some of it got on you. Don't wear white. :-[

6. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

in before Sbarro

7. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

Agent Michael Scarn recommends Sbarro.

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Any local place. Seriously. So long as you can find that place only in NYC, you can't go wrong.

9. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Any sidewalk store near Times Square. Been in a couple. They kick ass, and they're cheap.

10. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Do not listen to this. You're not going to find the good stuff around Times Square. Places like Ray's are serviceable, but not the kind of thing you should seek out in NYC.

Grimaldi's style is actually like you get in Italy -- mozarella balls and sauce without sugar, with fresh basil and only one or two toppings.

I discovered a great place upon recommendation last week, a little local sit-down joint called Arturo's. In Soho, at Houston and Thompson. The owner sings in between waiting on tables. Classic thin crust, coal oven pizza.

11. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Avoid Famous Ray's and Fat Sal's.

12. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Respectfully noted.

The truth of the New York pizza debate is that the natives all have our favorites (as we do with deli and hot dogs and szechuan and bagels and steak and relief pitchers and everything else), and we argue in their favor whenever the question arises. At some point the argument becomes completely subjective, based entirely on the taste buds of the beholder.

But if you Google 'best pizza new york', the same four or five names we've mentioned here will recur again and again.

Thing is, if you're from somewhere else, almost anywhere else in fact, any of these four or five will be an epiphany when it comes to pizza.

And BR, while I completely agree that the 2nd Ave. iteration of Totonno's is more dependable than transcendant, I think their original location in Coney Island is the Platonic ideal of the form. May be the oven. Or the location. Or just me.

But if you only have time to try one, Grimaldi's on Old Fulton in the shadow of the bridge is a perfect suggestion.

Draft saved Draft deleted