1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gratuitous I'm-gonna-be-in-NYC-and-want-good-pizza thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by zimbabwe, May 10, 2008.

1. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

Gratefully taking all suggestions for where I should go for the must-have, best-in-the-city slice.

Especially if it is within walking distance of Park Slope.

But really, anywhere works.

Thanks.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Whatever the place in Brooklyn is that Ragu will suggest.

Best pizza I've ever had.

Grimaldi's?

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Ding, ding, ding.

Grimaldi's. Tremendous. A must-have.

Thank us later.

4. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

I thank you now.

Which borough is that?

5. imjustagirl

Um, Brooklyn.

6. shockey

shockey Active Member

grimaldi's is okay, ijag. but the best tip from this brooklyn boy is difara's, on ave. j and e. 15th street. regular and sicilian to die for. owner dominic makes every pie himself. has for more than 40 years. makes every nyc top 10 pizza list and has plaques on the wall to prove it. an easy ride from park slope. 8) 8) 8)

7. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Grimaldi's is nice if you want to walk the Brooklyn Bridge. It's right at the foot. Convenient.

Better pies at Lombardi's, or Totonno's. Locations in Manhattan. Or try the original Totonno's out at Coney Island. Ride the subway out there. It's not like you need a car to get around.

8. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

I know. I didn't mean to sound that naive.

9. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Grimaldi's is fantastic. I'll endorse that place, too.

10. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Well, the thing about Grimaldi's and that ilk is that it's a very different kind of pizza. They use fresh mozzarella, which melts much differently than the packaged stuff that most pizza places use. And the sauce is fresher-tasting -- almost raw tasting -- than a sauce that's been simmered for three or four hours. And the basil will be fresh -- actual leafy things rather than dried. So if you're from out of town, you might think WTF? I happen to like it, but I know people who don't. It's like if you've grown up eating the powdered cheese-like stuff that comes in those shakers in the grocery aisle or the stuff that your average pizzaria puts on the table, and you finally have the real stuff, you'll think, hmmm, this is different.

If you want something a bit more familiar, but very thin crust and baked in an old oven, try John's on Bleecker in Greenwich Village.

11. imjustagirl

Frank, that's what I loved about it. The actual leaf basil and the gobs of cheese and the pepperoni...it was sooooo good.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

[blue]Find a Domino's.[/blue]

Draft saved Draft deleted