1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Graphic Novel/Comic Book Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Gene Parmesan, Oct 25, 2009.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Y: The Last Man is fantastic.
    I don't see how it could be one movie. With ten books, how do you condense all that down to one, 90-minute movie?
    But, it would be a risk to make it a trilogy, since it isn't exactly a well-known title.

Not a graphic novel, but did anyone catch the Batman: Brave and the Bold musical with Neil Patrick Harris? Utterly fantastic.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I completely forgot about it Friday night. I don't normally watch that show, but that seemed like it was going to be great.

3. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

I picked up a hardcover copy of Death of Gwen Stacy from one of the remainders tables at a local Barnes & Noble. It was either $5.99 or $6.99. Ditto for The Dark Tower Volume One which is worth it just for Jae Lee's illustrations.

4. outofplace

The only thing worse than how much money I already spend on this crap is how much I would spend if I had more.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I keep waiting for it to pick up the pace. Seems like it's been going on for six months already -- and it still has another six months to go.
    As fun as it is to see Zombie Firestorm turn a girl to salt and rip her heart out, this thing is making the Turtle's origin story look fast-paced.

6. outofplace

Exactly. This thing could have been cut in half and it would have been better. Not that Dark Reign is any better. I guess DC just raised my expectations too high with Infinite Crisis, which was fantastic. Not to be confused with Final Crisis, which was just Grant Morrison mentally masturbating and calling it genius again.

7. Gene Parmesan

Gene Parmesan Member

Y should be a series on HBO starring Adam Brody.

K. Smith is writing "Widening Gyre." Definitely recommend reading this one, but if you must wait.. Wait. I generally take that same philosophy, EF, but sometimes a brotha can't wait.

8. outofplace

I read a positive review of Widening Gyre so far. Much of it apparently focuses on Bruce Wayne in a romantic relationship with a woman who knows about his dual identity, so it's right up Smith's alley. I just hope he doesn't end it by having Batman kissing Alfred on the mouth and asking the lady love interest to join them in a three-way.

So, any Marvel fans excited about "Siege?" I'm hopefull, but pessimistic.

9. outofplace

I'm not sure how many here have been following Dark Reign through the Marvel books. It's pretty much impossible to keep up with every tie-in. Ok, possible but expensive, so I'm not even trying.

That said, I recommend checking out the series of one shots called "The List." The Avengers one with Clint Barton going after Norman Osborn was excellent. The Punisher should have been a classic, but they are already diminishing the importance of the major event in the book (still worth reading if you like brutally violent stories). The Wolverine one was funny.

The last was Spider-Man, which came out today. It seemed a little rushed, but overall didn't disappoint, even providing a reason that Norman saved his arch-enemy for last on his list that makes perfect sense for the character. The resolution was a nice twist as well.

10. Frylock

Frylock Member

Just read the entire Fables series over the last couple of months.
    I thought it was great. Interesting premise and cool artwork.

11. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

A former co-worker has a graphic novel on Darwin's "Origin of Species" that's just come out.

http://www.sciencefriday.com/program/archives/200911135

I have not read it (tried to read one graphic novel that was on the newsroom's book review pile but failed) but I'll probably pick it up at some point.

12. outofplace

I have only seen a few issues, but I love the approach they took with Prince Charming.

Draft saved Draft deleted