1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Graphic Novel/Comic Book Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Gene Parmesan, Oct 25, 2009.

1. Gene Parmesan

Gene Parmesan Member

Didn't see one in a search I did (though, it's possible I just did a search wrong. Who knows?)

Anyone reading anything good? Kevin Smith just began a new Batman series. Thus far, it's pretty much what you'd expect from a KSmith production: snappy dialogue, clever plot and uniquely Smithian.

This is kind of a lame starting point for a dialogue, but I'd be interested to see if there are any other comic nerds out there.

2. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

I just finished Torso by Brian Michael Bendis. Don't know why it took me so long to finally pick it up and read, it was well worth the night I spent on it. It was in movie development hell (with Fincher attached to direct and Casey Affleck and Matt Damon to star). Paramount let the rights lapse, but I read a link Friday quoting Bendis that the movie wasn't completely dead yet.

For those that don't know, here's the synopsis from wiki:

Torso tells the story of the real life "Torso Murderer", a serial killer who was active during 1934 to 1938. He received his nickname because he left only the torsos of his victims. Without fingerprints or dental records, these victims were very difficult to identify in a time before DNA testing. The investigator on the case was Eliot Ness, Cleveland Safety Director and former head of the Untouchables.

3. Gene Parmesan

Gene Parmesan Member

BMB was tremendous. "Goldfish" was a good series.

Reading "Pax Romana" by Jonathan Hickman now. Not sure how I feel about it as I'm about a third in... It's certainly out there.

Premise per Wiki:
    Vatican-backed research has discovered the secret of time travel. With it the Church plans to fix the future by altering the past. They send a warehouse of modern weaponry and enhanced soldiers to Rome in 312AD. Plans change quickly as the cardinal in charge of the mission is shot.

It's certainly out there and, as a Jew, I'm a touch behind with some of the Catholicism terminology.

4. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

There are no comic book nerds here.

One that I've been pimping for years is the Rising Stars trade paperback collections by J. Michael Straczynski. They're like a cross between Watchmen and Highlander. Just great storytelling. And like Babylon 5, he wrote it with a clear beginning, middle and end.

Other than that, just re-read The Long Halloween Batman one. Also been looking at the Death of Gwen Stacy and Death of Jean DeWolff Spider-Man collections.

I hope Kevin Smith's new Batman is better than All-Star Batman and Robin.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. I just read Neil Gaiman's Marvel Universe treatment of "1602." Interesting concept and the story telling was, as is to be expected, top notch. The art was splendid.

I'm going to read Darwyn Cooke's adaptation of "The Hunter" this week. I'm really looking forward to that one.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Comic books finally brought you out of the Forest?

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I'm going to have to pick up Rising Stars one of these days. I've heard a lot of good things about it before, and the Piotr stamp of approval makes me think it is worth the read.

Which Batman is Smith writing? There are so many series and minis, I lose track.

I don't think we have had a general comics/graphic novels thread. There was a Darkest Night thread, but it sank back a few pages and the BSG/Running Geek Thread has also faded.

DC's Secret Six is still a good read. Dark, nasty and funny, which is pretty much my speed.

Blackest Night is disappointing me so far. Great start, but since then, just meh.

9. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

I am a comic-book nerd. My wife just laughs at some of the stuff I read.

One caveat: I don't pick up any storyline still running. I HATE waiting. I'll wait until the end and buy the graphic novel.

Batman geek -- but loved the "Red Son" Superman arc. Thought it was a great story.

10. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Speaking of movie development hell, I'm still waiting for "Y: The Last Man" to make it to the screen.

11. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

Me too, as long as Shia LaBeouf isn't in it.

I'm about halfway through that series. Need to finish it up at some point.

Also looking at picking up The Walking Dead trades.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

LaBeouf supposedly turned it down, though he has said there is still a chance he would be in the movie if it ever happens.

The Walking Dead is supposed to be amazing, but I'm just zombied out (not good not good now that two Marvel books I read are heading into a crossover called "Necrosha")

Draft saved Draft deleted