1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Graphic Designer - Sporting News

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Moderator1, Oct 26, 2009.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

http://www.careerbuilder.com/JobSeeker/Jobs/JobDetails.aspx?IPath=QHTCM&ff=21&APath=2.21.0.0.0&job_did=J8A3HG6TXB9NZ0GP9LH&cbRecursionCnt=1&cbsid=d6b21d38e1d84688b62d026d523e3707-309864865-JQ-5

Job Snapshot Location: 120 West Morehead Street
    Charlotte, NC 28202 (Map it! )
    Loading Map... Employee Type: Full-TimeIndustry: Printing - Publishing
    NewspaperManages Others: NoJob Type: Design
    Media - Journalism - NewspaperExperience: 1 to 4 yearsTravel: NoneRelocation Covered: NoDivision: Art Dept.Post Date: 10/22/2009Contact Information Contact: Keith Wood
    Description
    Sporting News is seeking an entry-mid level Graphic Designer to contribute to the design and layout for its daily sports digital publication, Sporting News Today.
    Candidate must possess a working knowledge of and interest in sports, including baseball, football, basketball, hockey and NASCAR.

Hours:
    Full Time, 40 hours a week
    Average daily schedule: 5pm-1:30am / 6pm-2:30am

Reports To:
    Creative Director

Duties:
    To continually find ways to creatively enhance all elements of Sporting News Today.
    Responsible for page production and layout. Able to work in a collaborative environment.
    Requirements
    Skills:
    Creative, knowledge of design software: Adobe InDesign, PhotoShop and Illustrator.
    Designer must be able to produce quality layouts while meeting daily production deadlines.

Experience:
    Ideal candidate will have a degree in graphic design/journalism and at least one year working experience on a daily newspaper.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

This always struck me - at least in the year or two it's been a product - as a pretty cool gig.

3. cbo06

cbo06 New Member

Salary range?

4. Editude

Editude Active Member

A clue to the anticipated salary would be the reference to 1-4 years of experience and describing it as an entry/midlevel job. Used to be a gig at the Sporting News would be a plum.

5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Are the desks there separate, or do you also do work on the mag? Just curious ...

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The Sporting News located anywhere but St. Louis = sad.

7. I talked with someone on the phone about the job. It sounds as if it's only with the digital product. And the money is not bad, depending on what you are looking for, obviously. You don't have to be an internet guy though, it is layout on InDesign then sending postscript files to a someone else to create the product. But the guy I spoke with, Keith Wood, seems like a pretty nice guy, and they sound like they do a pretty nice job of being fair with hours, days off, etc. It's in Charlotte, which I loved when I interviewed there a few years ago, so the city is pretty nice. All in all, seems like a pretty good gig.

8. pffft

pffft Member

Any update on this one?

I got a call the morning after I applied, called back and left a voicemail. Missed another call the next morning, called back and left a voicemail. I tried calling several times throughout the day (morning, afternoon, evening) the next couple days and never got an answer. Sent multiple emails and never got an answer.

Did I eff myself not answering his calls while in the newsroom?

Frustrating.

9. cm297304

cm297304 New Member

do you have to apply for this using career builder, or is there a way to send your info directly to Mr. Wood??

10. I'm pretty sure I sent my email and a link to my portfolio directly to him.

11. Just got a letter in the mail today saying they have selected a candidate for the position, which is odd, since I declined the chance to go down there to interview, but I understand the form letter and all. I didn't want to say anything, but since it is filled, I think it's OK to say it now . . . they wanted you to pay your way down for the interview. To me, I was a bit suprised when he told me that, but I would limit my candidate pool to a one-state radius if that were my companies situation. Take it for what it's worth . . . I still thought the job and payrange was pretty decent, and Mr. Wood seemed like a stand-up guy.

Draft saved Draft deleted