1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Grapefruit League

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HackyMcHack, Feb 23, 2008.

1. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

Thinking about making a spring training trip next month. With this being the final year of the Dodgers' Florida training, how tough is it to get tickets to a game at Dodgertown?

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Not that tough, as long as they're not playing one of the more popular teams --- Red Sox, Yankees or Braves (who have a lot of fans within a couple hours' drive of Vero). But for, say, a midweek game against the Twins, shouldn't be a problem.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Tickets should be no problem in the Gratefruit League.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

One of my regrets, that I never made it to Dodgertown. (I did, however, make it to Boardwalk and Baseball in its heyday!)

Doubt it's hard to get tickets -- ST tickets rarely are (even the Cubs, believe it or not.)

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Cubs tickets can be tough. I bought mine in advance and there were actually people standing out front trying to buy tickets, yet no one was scalping. Plus, it wasn't exactly against an exciting opponent, since it was the Mariners.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Mariners get tons of tourist traffic, though. Mostly from Japan, understandably.

Cubs and M's was a tough, tough game to get a ticket to last year in Vegas, I know that.

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Good point. I just assumed that since the Mariners sucked there would be tickets.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

One thing to make note of, if you're going, you should probably go before March 12.

After that, with the exception of the tradition St. Patrick's Day game (versus the Astros this year), everything will be either split-squad (due to the exhibition trip to China) or in Arizona ...

9. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Spent half of one of my spring breaks in college a few years back just watching Grapefruit League Games with friends. It was a great time, and I don't recall having trouble getting tickets, except perhaps for the Red Sox in Fort Myers.

10. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Dodgertown might be my favorite place on the planet. It's so pure and tranquil, you can't help but fall into a baseball trance there. I can see why they probably don't make any money being there, but it's a goddamn shame they're leaving.

11. KP

KP Active Member

What remains of B&B?

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Gone baby gone.

B&B was basically run into the ground -- in about a year and a half. Grand opening in 1987, mercifully closed in 1990 and the theme park was demolished soon after. Royals stayed at the B&B stadium in Haines City up until a few years ago, then moved to Arizona in 2003. Stadium's gone now, too. Nothing left.

Draft saved Draft deleted