1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Grantland's Andy Greenwald on AMC's future

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Steak Snabler, Oct 19, 2013.

1. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

I tried "Mad Men" and "Breaking Bad." I just couldn't get into either show.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I'm surprised someone would have a hard time getting into "Breaking Bad." For a prestige show, it's incredibly entertaining and easy to follow, from episode 1. I get why people bail on "The Wire" and "Mad Men" and "Boardwalk Empire."

Alma's criticism that "Mad Men" is boring is interesting. The most valid criticism of the show, I believe, is that it is actually just a really nice-looking daytime soap.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Breaking Bad seemed to lose people in the first half of Season 2.

4. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I think they had some structural problems, especially the Miranda Richardson role, which brought down the early episodes and never made sense (which made her death less shocking than it should have been). I hated the reveal that his across the alley neighbor was involved in the spy stuff instead of being a civilian. Also, the stuff in the pilot about his late father-in-law never panned out.

If the show was the spy team, Arliss Howard and the big boss (Spangler?) staying in the shadows but possibly evil, it could have been excellent.

5. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

Me for one. Nothing against the show or those who love it. Just couldn't get into it.

I have friends who absolutely love certain shows that I couldn't stomach and I love some shows my wife even hates. To each their own.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Well, I have the ratings on my side. The Mad Men season six finale got 2.7 million viewers. The Walking Dead drew 16 million Sunday night.

The shows aren't in the same stratosphere of popularity. Mad Men is comparable with Devious Maids, in terms of ratings.

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

When I want to evaluate the merit of a TV show or movie, the first thing I consult are the ratings.

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

When I want to call a show a "great audience show" or not, I'll consult the ratings. What did you think I was talking about?

Mad Men's a PHD in Russian literature. I love Russian literature! But you'd better have the business school cranking its share.

9. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101147804

This is a big score for AMC, members and moderators.
    It has smote the rock of international resources.
    Abundant revenue hath gushed forth.
    Only took 30 years.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted