1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Grantland so far

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Yeah , cheap shot. Besides it would be pretty boring if thompson wrote about salad bars, protein shakes and tofu.

BTW Thompson bears striking resemblance to John Candy:

[​IMG]

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

It IS a dick move, no two ways about it . . . surprised we haven't seen a Haley Barbour photo, yet . . .

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I think I'm the sort of apologist Alma was talking about with this site.

It's a major mistake to think upon this as being a one-stop shop for sports. It's not. Simmons doesn't mean for you to walk away thinking the Women's World Cup is the only story in sports on Friday.

Grantland is a buffet, and you certainly don't ladle up everything on a buffet. Some of the pop-culture offerings are not of as much interest to me than others. But I usually can tell by the topic and leave them alone.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'd say more like a farmer's market. Maybe you don't grab anything everyday, but you want to check out what's new.

5. Boom_70

I was hoping it would be a top notch mens club where you want to grab everything.

That of course was back in the day- before 21.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

You mean the whole week. Go back and look the whole week of content. It's women's world cup and Yao Ming retiring.

7. jr/shotglass

Point taken. I can't argue that.

My contention is if it's a series of good stories on those two subjects, I'm not going to walk away disappointed.

Frankly, I thought they took two stories to hammer home one point about Yao. We get it. He blazed a new frontier.

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

The Yao Ming essay by Jay Caspian Kang, who is often very good, seemed to reduce the basketball player to a generic Asian. The feature by Jonathan Abrams was significantly better, in my opinion, but perhaps someone with Chinese (or Japanese, I suppose) roots could relate to Kang's essay. I'm not sold.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

To use your buffet analogy, though, good stories on those two subjects is akin to multiple versions of three-bean salad and bread pudding. No meat. No potatoes.

I look forward to a bolder, more cohesive site.

10. Boom_70

So far it has the buffet quality of Golden Corral at best.

11. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

We need Baron to weigh in on what type of car Grantland is right now.

12. jr/shotglass

And if it were a tree ...

Draft saved Draft deleted