1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Grantland so far

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Jul 14, 2011.

1. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Chris Ryan's piece on the Portland-Seattle MLS rivalry beat SI's feature earlier this summer hands down. Grantland is bookmarked. It's a great place to go and invest in a well-written story. The layout is easy to read.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/6766182/visiting-soccer-city-usa

2. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Agreed this was my biggest fear, too...I hate those never-ending, drain your recorder stories. But that has not been the case in the stories I've seen posted on there...well-written and only what's needed to tell the story well.

3. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

I can't wait to see Alma's critique of Clay Travis' upcoming website.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

As you mention The New Yorker has a range of stories but it is still more current and topical than Grantland.

The Talk of Town section typically has current or upcoming events and many of essays tend to be very big picture forward looking.

I always find it uncanny that The New Yorker stories are 3 - 5 months ahead of when a newspaper breaks same story.

As far as range of stories The New Yorker is not billed as a sports publication while Grantland is. This makes many of the Grantland stories seem out of place.

As far as Grantland writing many of the stories seem cursory compared to what I am used to seeing from same writers in their other jobs. It almost seems like Grantland is an afterthought to their primary careers. I guess there is only so much time in a day.

Perhaps Jones can answer but I wonder how the writers are able to balance out their time commitment levels with their full time jobs. Do they have enough time to devote to Grantland.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

They have had some stuff from west of the Mississippi, but the NY/Boston bias still, to me, is as bad as ESPN. Maybe my eyes just hunt out that stuff more now, I don't know. But like you said, the AL East beat writer is obnoxious.

As for copy editing, well, if I gave up everything with errors nowadays, I wouldn't read anything anymore. But Grantland needs to do better and should <i>want</i> to do better.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Grantland seems to want to do better but he just needs to apply himself more.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

To Grantland's credit, an immediate post on Clemens' mistrial appeared:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/6769799/hell-just-happened

It is also 1,100 words long.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I actually check it daily now. Loved the FNL history.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I wanted a sidebar on Connie Britton. And 6,000 words wouldn't have bothered me a bit.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Part of the problem is that they have to come up with something new every day when the top writers there aren't going to write more than once or twice a week.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I'm curious as to why they feel the need to push out so much content.

Which also goes to the point about timeliness and topicality. You're filling the site as if it were a news daily, but you're filling it with feature content from a(n eccentric) monthly.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I think any new site has to publish new content daily in its first months of existence, if not longer. If you're a novelty, you have to stay novel until you get established as a reading habit.

Draft saved Draft deleted