1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Grantland/Molly Lambert on the sad truth of Eminem

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double Down, Nov 25, 2014.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

So Dave Matthews Band is raping music?

I mean "tied up and twisted the way I like to be ... Crash into me" has gotta be about rape amirite? [cross-thread]

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It's a strong takedown of Eminem.

I encourage Lambert to take down a whole lot more horseshit in the music business, too.

As for Del Rey...one album done in her...persona...is allowable under the "I'm not really like this, this is a vague, ironic pose" umbrella. But she made a second one. Titled it after a line in A Clockwork Orange. Drones on at length, in song after song, about an embrace of a criminal, drug-addled life that she's never particularly led -- in a Maxim article she says "there's a lot to be said for pretending" -- and muses dangerously about wishing she were already dead and generally is a pox on alternative (or whatever you call it) music. I suspect Eminem knows it, too.

The great shame of Eminem -- and Lambert nails this -- is that he knows no more effective/mature way of ripping manufactured artists like Lizzy Grant and Amethyst Kelly because, in the industry, there appears to be no other way that anyone would actually consider. And actual maturity would a reflect a need to no longer rip people like Lana and Iggy by imagining violence against them.

I think this is a great line:

<i>Rather than the toxic ambition of a young man determined to get his, he has the poisoned, defensive entitlement of a man who feels like he has earned his keep and is terrified that someone is going to take it away from him.</i>

Excellent. I could argue that Eminem, like any rulemaking gatekeeper, would think some artists belong in his gated community of having "earned it," and some don't. The question for me is: In his worldview, do <i>any</i> women belong there?

3. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

I thought this was great. I'm a really big fan of Lambert's, even when I disagree with her completely. She normally confronts me with a perspective I would never consider.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

They may both have persecution complexes, but Palin's is more of the <i>"Oh yeah? Well, you're not the hot stuff!</i> kind.

5. PW2

PW2 Member

And, just to further clarify, I think what is similar about the two is that I think both are largely playing a character when slip go into persecution complex mode.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

You are right. My bad. I hate when other people shit on threads. Not sure why i did it to this one.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I don't think Palin's playing a character.

8. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Me neither. Beat me to it. More like a deer that wants to be in headlights coupled with a screwed up reasoning process and flapping lips.

Still would though.

9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

What's gonna' be more pathetic to watch: aging hair metal bands still touring or the senior rap tour that will certainly be coming since I doubt 75-percent can manage money or hire people who can?

10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I know, I know ...

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

what a load of tripe.

another aging x-genner struggling to come to grips with the fact that the entertainment she consumed as a teen and young adult held no actual aesthetic or artistic value.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

You 42 year old bald headed f-- blow me
    You don't know me, you're too old let go its over, nobody listens to Eminem

Draft saved Draft deleted