1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Grantland looks back on "The Man. Amen."

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Versatile, Apr 11, 2013.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Just seeing the title of this thread, I thought it was about Stan Musial.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

We had a similar discussion a while back about Chris Jones selling out to join ESPN.

Seemed liked an odd fit at time for someone who fashions himself as a bit of an iconoclast.

I wonder how he likes those new twitter rules.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Why didn't they mention Pierce also writes for Esquire and is the site's political blogger?

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Nice to see an SportsJournalists.com A-lister get a shout-out in that Grantland piece.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

That would seem contradictory to ESPN's new social media policy although I would assume that Pierce would get a pass.

6. tmr

tmr Member

If Pierce is on a contract, as I assume he is, I'm sure his particular one states he can do pretty much whatever he wants.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

At the last golf tournament I covered back in 2005 or so, a heckler yelled at Tiger "Hey Tiger, how my dick ta'te?"

Sadly, it seemed like only the writers got the joke.

8. Mizzougrad96

I think based on what we know now, Pierce can safely say he grossly underestimated when he said the GQ photo shoot would get Tiger laid 296 times in the next year.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

But presumably grossly overestimated the talent he'd be working with.

10. Mizzougrad96

True. There were no Waffle House references in the article. :D

11. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

I have loved "The Man. Amen" since it came out, and missed reading it every once in a while until it was revived online a few years back.

It sucks that I get the exact same 26 letters of the alphabet that Charles P. Pierce does, and yet it takes him a mere 2 1/2 hours to write something so epic and great -- while I can't muster anything remotely close.

Pierce and Gary Smith are among those select few who seem to have that gift in the sportswriting set.

Sigh.

rb

12. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

Pierce>>>>>Smith

Draft saved Draft deleted