1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Grantland article on LSU's Mo Isom

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sportbook, Aug 20, 2012.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Frankly, the fact that the Christian part of it was dealt with so comfortably was quite impressive.

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

"Maybe," Isom says, "he said good-bye to the dogs."

Jesus.

Jordan Conn is Grantland's hidden gem. Read his story on Roy Hibbert or several others. And this is his best work yet for the site. Hell, this might be the best thing I've read on Grantland. And Charles P. Pierce and Michael Weinreb and Chris Jones and Jane Leavy write for Grantland.

The writing was so fluid. The narrative decisions were pitch-perfect. It was a Grantland rarity in that it felt well-edited, which may mean that Conn isn't Pierce or Weinreb or Jones or Leavy, so Grantland's editors actually edit his work. Or it may mean that he wrote it perfectly, spent time making sure it was written perfectly, went over it and had friends go over it so that it was written perfectly.

Norin Radd said the writing wasn't particularly strong, but I think clarity is a sign of great writing. George Plimpton never overwrote; he knew better. The descriptions where there when they needed to be, like in this graf:

And as far as Alma's criticism goes, it still is in the flag, which is where Grantland puts highlighted work from previous days.

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

The line about how her make-up ran is the detail that elavates the section Versatile pulled out into something beautiful. It stood out for me on first read too. If I were talking to a young writer I'd say "That's the kind of little unexpected detail that makes for a great scene but avoids overwriting."

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Ending with the word "relief" was also a great choice. It's unexpected but poignant. The final word of a sentence/paragraph/story is often more important than any other.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Riveting story. The beauty of me not being in the business anymore is that I've adjusted to reading a story like that without nitpicking it to death. Not that anyone here is doing that. Just saying. I enjoy that now. But the details in this story were amazing.

Definitely going to read more of this guy's work.

Again, just riveting. Loved it.

6. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

Sounds like she'll find out if she made it or not on Friday. Who wouldn't be elated if she made the team?

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I read it and liked it.

As far as the faith stuff being in there, that's fine. It read as authentic.

I am not a critic of all things Grantland. I like stuff in there, like I like stuff anywhere. I'm a critic of its worldview. Guys like Conn and Weinreb get buried on a site that like to employ novelists and Hollywood bloggers and folks writing about WWE. There's little discernment.

8. mash4077

mash4077 New Member

I read it and thought it was a powerful and well-written story. It doesn't matter to me whether it's on Grantland or anywhere else. I wish I wrote as fluid as that.

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

She didn't make it.

http://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/2012/08/mo_isom_doesnt_make_the_cut_as.html

She has a broadcast journalism degree. I'm guessing this won't be the last we'll hear of Mo Isom.

10. Yodel

Yodel Active Member

This matters only to me, I think, but her family is connected to my hometown. The place where her father wanted to be buried is the town where my high school was. Really good story.

Draft saved Draft deleted