1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Granting a pseudonym

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by champ_kind, May 20, 2020.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Best pen name I saw was the guy who sent in the Babe Ruth roundup to the local paper: “By Bud Weiser.”

OscarMadison likes this.
  2. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

If you don't use her actual name, you have to tell readers you're not using her real name to protect her anonymity. Simple.

Matt Stephens and OscarMadison like this.
  3. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Many years ago we had a contributor for local race track results who couldn't use his real name. He, at the time, worked for the competing paper that owned us, too. We didn't share staffs. The publisher at the time treated us like second-hand shit. The guy providing the racing results just wanted to help the local tracks and drivers.

Our pen name for him - Victor E. Lane

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  4. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

My second job out of college was at a really shitty small magazine where we had a 2020-esque freelance budget. So me and the other editor wrote most of the stories, until our idiotic, possibly mob-related "publisher" said it looked bad for us to write most of the stuff. So we came up with pseudonyms for the shit we mailed in. Few months later, someone from a fledgling website calls the office and says he likes a few of the stories he's read and he'd like to see if those writers would like to write for the website (for money, too!).

Website guy: "Who is BYH?"
    Me: "That's me."
    Website guy: "Who is Not BYH?"
    Me: "That's our other editor."
    Website guy: "Oh cool. Who is (Pseudonym no. 1)?"
    Me: "That's my pen name."
    Website guy: "Oh cool. Who is (Pseudonym no. 2)?"
    Me: "That's our other editor's pen name."

What a fucking business.

5. Bud_Bundy

Bud_Bundy Well-Known Member

We had a guy who was friends with the sports editor of the then-competing newspaper. For whatever reasons, he freelanced a game for the competitor. If his name was William Charles, his byline in the other paper was Charlie Williams. The powers that be never caught on and as far as I know.

Draft saved Draft deleted