1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Grant Hill: Hall of Famer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jun 3, 2013.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Retired this weekend. Keep in mind that it's the basketball Hall of Fame, not just the NBA Hall of Fame.

http://www.basketballreference.com/players/playerpage.htm?ilkid=HILLGR01

Thoughts?

2. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Without question. His college career might be enough on its own. Add in his pro longevity and usefulness and he's a lock.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I don't see a lock, Big Circus.

Without the injury, he would have had a shot. But as things turned out, he's kind of like a Don Mattingly of the NBA.

I think his college career and the Olympics gets him closer than he might have been, but I'd say he is a long shot -- far from a lock.

The closest comparison I can come up with is Chris Mullin. Except Mullin was part of the Dream Team, had two gold medals, and was a better NBA player for a longer period of time.

I can't see Hill getting in. It's such a tough hall of fame to get into.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Now thinking. ... and looking at who is in. If David Thompson is in, maybe Hill stands a better chance than my initial reaction. College might count for more than I was thinking.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The basketball HOF includes what he did in college and that will be enough to push him over the top.

Being a great ambassador to the game won't hurt him either.

If the question is, "Is he deserving to make it to the HOF based on solely his NBA career?" I would say no... Although, he may get a bit of a pass because of the injury.

6. Big Circus

Mullin never won an NCAA title. Hill got two and played a major role in one of the sport's seminal moments. You're right that it's a hard hall to get into, and I'm probably too high on him, but I think he's in. Ralph Sampson is in purely on college accomplishments, and he never won a title.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Pants shitter for sure, and perhaps a Hall of Famer.

8. doctorx

doctorx Member

I'm amazed he played as many as 67 games in one season during his Orlando years.

9. Big Circus

You leave George Brett out of this.

(That's now two of my favorite teams' most beloved players I've criticized on this thread. Stay tuned for a vicious attack on Bobby Orr!)

10. Mizzougrad96

Mullin isn't a bad comparison. Both players had about 6-7 years where they were one of the best players in the league.

Where Mullin has the edge is that he was still a pretty good player for several years after that, while Hill missed the bulk of three seasons because of injuries and then came back to play the majority of a season before missing the bulk of another season.

Hill had a 5-year stretch where he played in 4, 14, 29, 67 and 21 games...

11. Mizzougrad96

Honestly, there's no way he doesn't get in.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

Comparing Hill to Thompson is crazy. Anyone who saw David Thompson play in his prime, knows he belongs in the Hall. Hill will get in.

Draft saved Draft deleted