1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Grandpa gets baby gun as gift, dad gets baby a gun permit

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by EStreetJoe, May 16, 2007.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

sorry if this is a d_b, but the searches I did came up empty

http://news.aol.com/topnews/articles/_a/baby-bubba-gets-state-gun-permit/20070516104709990002?ncid=NWS00010000000001

Please tell me... who's dumber? Gramps for giving a 10 month old a Beretta (endangering the welfare of a child?), Dad for allowing the gift to be given and applying for the permit, or the state police for actually issuing the permit?

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I don't see how the child is being endangered when the story says the shotgun will be kept at grandpa's house.

And if grandpa bought a nice over/under Beretta for the kid, Bubba might be able to sell if for several thousand dollars once he hits driving age.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

All of the above, EStreet.

Pop and Grandpa should be in jail for child abuse and endangering the welfare of a child.

4. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Bubba doesn't have much of a shot in life, huh?

5. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Story says "probably" be kept at gramps' house.

That's if Bubba doesn't use the Beretta on someone else first.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

As I said, I think this gift from the grandfather will turn into an investment piece. Beretta shotguns are high-dollar pieces that appreciate in value over the years.

7. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

The recoil on a 12-gauge will throw that baby back a good ten feet. Seriously, I doubt he will be able to physically shoot the thing until he's at least 12, and that's only if he's worked his way up starting with a .22.

8. Not if he can't shoot for shit.

9. I also forgot to add how completely surprised this is in Chicago and not a few hundred more likely places where they happily call kids, "Bubba."

10. Jones

Jones Active Member

That's good stuff.

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

Maybe it's precisely because Bubba lives in Chicago. If he lives in, say, Cabrini-Green, he'll be an outcast if he grows up not knowing how to handle a firearm.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Only in Chicago.

Draft saved Draft deleted