1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Grand Rapids TV station airs live shot from Michigan "win" over Michigan State

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Steak Snabler, Oct 18, 2015.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

2. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Mitch Albom approves.

I understand that a live hit is a live hit...but come on! Don't EVER make shit up. Just say the game isn't over, it's in the 4th and move on.

Liut likes this.
  3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I would bet very, very heavily that he left the game and ran outside for his live shot when it was clear Michigan was going to punt and the game was effectively over. I've done shows like this where the reporter has to be live minutes after the game ends, typically outside the stadium. It's not as all unusual for the reporter to have to bail early. In this case, the game is over, they toss to him live.... but he doesn't ask anyone how the game ended, and no one tells him.

Can't do that, obviously. Bad, bad mistake all around. And I bet he won't do it again.

Notice, the graphic they have up on screen when they come back to the anchor also says Michigan won. Oops.

4. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Awkward situation for me. My home market. I'm friends with the former sports anchor. I didn't dare ask him anything on Facebook about that today. He's probably seething. (He's still with the station in a different on-air capacity.)

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Two thoughts on this:

1. Dude's Twitter apology was weak "Not the first time I've made a mistake and it won't be the last."

2. Just a thought, but is someone outside the stadium who does not see the end of the game -- when it's available to millions on this thing called TV -- the best person to report on the result of a close game? Is it really worth that M over his shoulder in the dark? Live shots strike again!!!

6. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Did Rhody call the station to report this?

Guessing this reporter ends up in Glendive, Mont.?

7. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

Not a MISTAKE.

A bad, poor decision with no checks and balances, sure.

But he CHOSE to do that. And no one on his staff (camera, producer, director, etc.) checked either. Obviously the graphics department jumped the gun, too.

This is what happens when being first is worse than being correct.

Luckily the TV station I work for (call color commentary for soccer games) is always staying to the end. No live shots outside stadium.

Not sure what the end-goal was? To be first on air? Congrats, but how'd that work out?

(Granted I used to work for the paper which went viral in January for "shooting minorities" made-up/edited quote from a cop.)

8. JohnHammond

Glad the TV station you work for calling soccer games are pros and won't leave a game before it ends.

Of course the TV reporter wasn't actually calling the game, so a bit different situation.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yes, but he was reporting on the outcome of the game, before it had outcomed. And he was describing fictional fan reaction.

So having your live reporter at the game giving the instant update and fictional fan reaction in the dark was worth minus-10 on a scale of 1 to 10.

Good work!

10. JohnHammond

Wonder how many times newspaper reporters have filed a early gamer or column, and the outcome changed?

As for the last part, I'm not in the business. Local TV news is generally worthless.

11. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

I've filed game stories early before. Wrote columns during games.

But I always made sure the winners/losers/final scores were always correct. Or if it changed, you email/call/text people back at the office so it gets changed (hopefully they have a TV/internet/twitter) so they can change it for you.

Granted he was going live and had no time to edit. I get that.

But how come he was the ONLY one (who we know of) to make the "mistake"?

Did anyone go live with Alabama winning the 2013 Iron Bowl before the "kick-six" ending?

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If so, we left blank the part where the score goes.

Draft saved Draft deleted