1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Grand Jury Investigating Clemens

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PeteyPirate, Jan 12, 2009.

1. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Man, that would be terrible if they found wrongdoing.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/01/12/AR2009011201611.html?hpid%3Dtopnews&sub=AR

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Blue font intended?

Doesn't matter. A lot of people in Houston, believe it or not, are OK with this probe.

3. micke77

micke77 Member

will be The Rocket be the subject for a future edition of "Lie to Me?"

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

And in other news, former Clemens attorney Lanny Breuer to head the Justice Dept Criminal Division.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. micke77

micke77 Member

call me crazy, but i have trouble believing anyone who has his lawyer leaning over every other minute coaxing him what to say. what did our moms used to tell us? something like: "son, if you don't have anything to hide or lie about, you can look me in the eyes and tell me." i know, i know. it's all of the legal mumbo jumbo that someone on the witness stand has to worry about or whatever, but i don't buy it.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I thought grand juries simply decided if there is enough evidence to hand down indictments. When did they begin investigations?

7. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

It's DOJ lawyers and the FBI doing the investigating and presenting it to the grand jury for consideration.

There have been examples of what's called "runaway grand juries," where GJ members ask to hear witnesses and take the case wherever they want to. I know of it happening in state systems, I don't know if the feds have different rules than can prevent it.

8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Odds on a pardon from GWB? I say 50-50.

9. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

We'll see how many years in the big house misremembering will get ya.

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's just poorly worded in the story.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Wouldn't he have to be convicted of a crime first in order to receive a pardon? I'm not sure of the presidential pardon laws.

If so, Clemens has a week to get arrested, tried and convicted in order for GWB to pardon him.

12. da el g

da el g Member

no conviction needed, see Nixon, Richard M.

Draft saved Draft deleted