1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gran Torino

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Simon_Cowbell, Dec 12, 2008.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

That's not the guy from The Client, is it?

2. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

God you guys are awful. :D

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I remember seeing Unforgiven and thinking that Eastwood was living up to his image as this era's John Wayne, going out as the aging gunslinger the way Wayne did in "The Shootist." That was 16 years ago.

4. digger

digger New Member

I'll watch Unforgiven, The Outlaw Josey Wales and almost any John Wayne movie any time they're on tv. Silverado, also. Unforgiven is definitely the best out of those, though. The Shootist was recently on on of the movie channels, I watched it 3, 4 times.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Saw the trailer today. Looks really good. I think Christian Bale was impersonating Eastwood when he did his Batman voice.

6. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

What amazes me about Eastwood is that he has gone on such an impressive run as a director after churning out cringe-worthy dreck like "The Rookie" (Not the Dennis Quaid baseball movie. The one with Charlie Sheen, and Raul Julia and Sonia Braga playing Germans), "True Crime," "Absolute Power," "Blood Work" and "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil."

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I feel the same about Mystic River. Pedestrian.

8. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

Mystic River was pedestrian? Or MDB? I loved both of them, but given my pick I'd go for Mystic River.

9. Songbird

I didn't like Mystic River. Overacted.

10. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

So have to disagree with you on this one. Sean Penn's performance was truly riveting and moving and Robbins played his character perfectly.

11. Songbird

Robbins was OK, actually, but he dialed it down way too much still, kind of like Scarlett in some of her roles. Penn was no good, though.

12. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

There's no other actor who could have pulled off that role. Great performance.

Draft saved Draft deleted