1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gran Torino

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Simon_Cowbell, Dec 12, 2008.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Thought Million Dollar Baby was splendidly put together . . . had virtually no faults . . . and was a dead-nuts, deserving Best Picture winner in the year in question.

Otherwise . . . I have zero use for Stallone, and scant use for Eastwood, so will
    withdraw from this particular thread . . . as life's too short.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Stallone doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as Eastwood.

3. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

No love for Unforgiven, Ben?

4. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

It's certainly not cinematic gold, but for as many movies that Clint's made that are, one of my favorites is still "Heartbreak Ridge" -- I'm a sucker for Marine flicks, especially this one with the plethora of one-liners that spill from the mouth of Eastwood's Gunny Sgt. Thomas Highway.

... and "Million Dollar Baby" was about as close to perfect as I've seen on the big screen.

That is all.

5. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

Heartbreak Ridge is great. Gunny Highway's one liner at the beginning to the cop is great:

Cop (after Gunny got out of court for pissing on his squad car): You're going to pay full price, rummy! I don't give any serviceman's discount!

Clint: Too bad your old lady does!

6. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

No doubt.

7. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Million Dollar Baby... a shell of a film compared with Mystic River

8. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Agreed Simon...I understand that MDB was a good film, but I don't get all the love for it.

9. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Ever see Copland?

I give Stallone some credit for that.

So it's that and the first Rocky and First Blood.

And the one where he's an explosives expert and bangs Sharon Stone. What the hell.

10. Mizzougrad96

I loved Cobra. But that was probably about 25 years ago. Stallone is essentially a two-hit wonder that he was able to milk more than any franchise can be milked, and I liked the last Rambo and Rocky movies (low expectations helped tremendously).

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Eastwood is having the decade of his life in his fucking SEVENTIES. The guy can just do no wrong. Has anyone ever made Oscar-caliber flick after Oscar-caliber flick this deep in his career?

And Unforgiven was the feel-good movie of all-time compared to Million Dollar Baby.

12. Mizzougrad96

Heath Ledger did pretty well deep in his career.

Draft saved Draft deleted