1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gran Torino

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Simon_Cowbell, Dec 12, 2008.

1. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

I'm downloading it as well.

Hollywood sends out tons of review copies of potential award winners around this time. Many - if not all - end up on the Internet.

You could go fishing for the stuff via bittorrent or other p2p options, but I've abandoned that method as it's slow and potentially unsafe. I now pay a nominal fee to download the stuff from usenet (the first message boards of the Internet).

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

3. Mizzougrad96

Tremendous film.

I'll go as far as to say it's the best film I've seen this year. I seriously doubt it will receive the awards that some of the others will, but I've watched this, Frost/Nixon and Milk in the last week and this is by far the best of the bunch, and I loved the other two.

4. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

I remember having this surreal argument with a coworker who claimed that "The Crying Game" should have won the Best Picture Oscar that year. It still makes me shudder.

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Went to see Sudden Impact the first night it came out (I was still in high school then). The place was packed and went nuts at the first scene of Dirty Harry walking into the courtroom. The "Har-ry, Har-ry" chants were heard everytime he shot somebody or kicked their ass. Maybe the most meorable time I've ever had at a movie.

6. Mizzougrad96

He is a colossal badass in Gran Torino.

7. daveevansedge

daveevansedge Member

I'm with you on that point, mg, except to perhaps add:

He is a colossal badass in damn near everything he's ever done.

And Pallister, you definitely need to see Unforgiven. Not exactly the bright, cheery holiday flick, but a damn good movie.

8. Mizzougrad96

When someone is pushing 80, pulling off being a colossal badass get increasingly hard to do.

Not for Eastwood.

9. The best compliment I can give Unforgiven is that it is just millimeters from being as good as McCabe and Mrs. Miller, and it's the only "modern" western I've ever seen that's even in the conversation.

10. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

Perhaps if he had mentioned the movie title in the thread instead of a quote from a movie that sounds like something Mr. Wilson would say to Dennis the Menace, then perhaps you wouldn't have started another thread on it.

11. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

That was my thought.

12. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

This is the reason for so many damn d_b's on this board. Not everyone opens up every new thread started. If I do a d_b it's because I've went back two pages and didn't see it. But I digress.

Draft saved Draft deleted