1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gran Torino

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Simon_Cowbell, Dec 12, 2008.

1. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

Slappy likely will end up just like Clint -- old and crotchety, drinking PBR on the porch.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Last time I drank PBR, I was in bed for four days with a fever from ingesting bacteria...

3. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

I thought the PBR was a nice touch to the flick.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

A real cheap Detroiter would have drank Goebel. Since they don't make it any more, Pabst works because real Detroiters haven't drank Stroh's since the brewery closed.

5. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm reviving an old thread, but it's not as old as Eastwood.

I've just seen this movie today and needed to express my eternal admiration for Eastwood.

I never saw his early films; "In the Line of Fire" might have been my first, but I'm totally into these lately. I'll have to go back and watch them, though.

The guy is a genius.

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

It reminded of the football games with some of the talking heads in town, trying to kick the PBR cans aside ... might have drunk a few of those for every touchdown scored.

Back on topic, Clint Eastwood has done some stellar work for most of the last 20 years. Has it been about 20 years since "Unforgiven"?

7. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Have to go back and watch the original Dirty Harry.

"What about that man's civil rights?"

"I'm all tore up about that man's rights."

Agreed that Gran Torino is a great flick.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Eastwood has always made great movies, but the elite of Hollywood never took him seriously until he filmed The Unforgiven. They viewed the movie as some kind of anti violence statement.

Some of his early stuff like Play Misty for Me and Coogans Bluff are great.

9. shockey

shockey Active Member

i'm a huge fan of all of clint's directorial efforts. my no. 1, by a pretty large margin, is going to be hard for him to ever top (and not only because it's unlikely there are many more projects on his agenda, given his age): 'MYSTIC RIVER.' the performances he drew from this incredible cast, top to bottom, is nothing short of breathtaking. SEAN PENN is an acting god.

10. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

And Eastwood does it all quickly. He well known for only using a few takes per scene, instead of spending hours and days to film 10 seconds of screen time.
    I read a biographical book on him a year or two ago and it said he got that way from his early TV career.

11. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

A bit off topic but they have Short's now.

Draft saved Draft deleted