1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Grammys? Who cares? Country radio still hates the Chicks!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by ifilus, Feb 13, 2007.

1. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

I think the against-the-war thing is an oversimplification.

The Chicks chose to express that opposition in a pandering way, trying to curry favor with an overseas crowd, and I think that's the source of the backlash.

Plenty of other entertainers have expressed anti-war views without generating the sort of hostility the Chicks did. For a lot of people, the "ashamed to be American" bit was a little much.

Not saying they don't have the right to express that. But others are just as entitled to disapprove.

2. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

In fairness on the Kristofferson front, Zeke, his songs tend to sound a hell of a lot better when someone else is doing them. IMO. Love his way with the language. His ability to deliver the song? Not so much.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I'll agree that obviously, Janis does a better version of Me & Bobby McGee. But ain't no Janis on country radio.

But his versions of -- and this is just for instance, off the top of my head -- Help Me Make it Through the Night and Jody & the Kid are far better than anything that has hit the country charts in the past two years.

He sounds like a country singer ought to sound.

And on the anti-war front, Johnny Cash was quoted numerous times asking why so many pro-war songs got air time during Vietnam, but Drive On and Man in Black got essentially banned -- and they weren't anti-war songs or protest songs. Just songs about the war (Drive On) or referring to the war (Man in Black) that weren't complimentary.

When you can't even reference the war unless you're 100 percent in support, that's pretty damning to me.

4. And the Chicks backlash was all about being anti-Bush and not about the fact they did it overseas. The backlash would have been just as intense had they doneit in Nashville.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Keeping commies like Johnny Cash and Merle Haggard off the radio is what makes this country great.

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Double Down will be along soon enough to fix you, blasphemer.

7. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Ace is just throwing sarcasm out there without usiing the sarcasm font (a move I can totally support), but you can never get enough of this picture, so what the hell...

[​IMG]

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Bravo. The best summary yet.

9. cortez

cortez Member

Sean Hannitty loves country music

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I like country music, too, but the good country -- like Big N Rich and Carrie Underwood.

Not these washed up old long hairs and America haters.

11. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

There used to be a pop station DJ in the mid and late 1980s named Elvis Duran. C'mon. Why not just call yourself Madonna Cher or Prince Springsteen?

12. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I'm not so sure that Justin in Texas, Tommy in Kansas or Johnny in South Carolina remember that the comments were made overseas so much as that they were made, period. If she made that same comment before New York or California liberals, I'm guessing their fate is just the same.

And Double Down, you absolutely nailed it with that breakdown.

Draft saved Draft deleted